lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2019, 11:05 PM   #1
Edge540steve
Not Yet Wild

Default Txt not triggering solenoid.

Hello, I’m new on here and just bought another junk cart so here goes the process of getting it running. Thought it would be something simple, possibly still is. Hopefully this post actually posts.

Batteries all load test with the toaster tester and hold around 6.5 volts. Checked all connections and I’m getting solid power from the batteries to the controller 38-40 volts

Solenoid does not click ever and has 38 volts across both large terminals. I get some strange voltage on the small terminals but never seem to get a solid ground to trigger the solenoid. Solenoid works perfect if I put power and ground to the small terminals.

No power at the ignition switch but the switch ohms out fine. I do have full power to the buzzer in the dash and it usually buzzes in reverse. I homed out all the wires through the forward and reverse switch to the controller.

Micro switch on the foot pedal tests ok all the way to the controller but no voltage is present.

Reed switch is working and I have power through it to where it goes back into the loom.

Was able to get the cart to run last night if I jumped the solenoid but I can’t find what is supposed to trigger the solenoid.
Edge540steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2019, 01:02 AM   #2
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: Txt not triggering solenoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge540steve View Post
Hello, I’m new on here and just bought another junk cart so here goes the process of getting it running. Thought it would be something simple, possibly still is. Hopefully this post actually posts.

Batteries all load test with the toaster tester and hold around 6.5 volts. Checked all connections and I’m getting solid power from the batteries to the controller 38-40 volts

Solenoid does not click ever and has 38 volts across both large terminals. I get some strange voltage on the small terminals but never seem to get a solid ground to trigger the solenoid. Solenoid works perfect if I put power and ground to the small terminals.

No power at the ignition switch but the switch ohms out fine. I do have full power to the buzzer in the dash and it usually buzzes in reverse. I homed out all the wires through the forward and reverse switch to the controller.

Micro switch on the foot pedal tests ok all the way to the controller but no voltage is present.

Reed switch is working and I have power through it to where it goes back into the loom.

Was able to get the cart to run last night if I jumped the solenoid but I can’t find what is supposed to trigger the solenoid.
It has not been that long ago that I had to ask almost same question. First,
There are great wiring diagrams in the stickies. See

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

Generally speaking, several switches have to close in series to complete the circuit to make Solenoid close.

Interlock switch on (comes on when charger UNPLUGGED from cart), bringing 36v into the circuit. Micro Switch 2 on F/R selector comes on when cart is in either Forward or Reverse, bringing 36v to key switch

Then Key Switch on, Pedal Switch on (MS 3) on when pedal down, brings 36 volts to input side of Solenoid coil which closes coil and circuit is completed to B- on controller.

So, you have to start at the first switch of the circuit. See if you have voltage to input side and output side.

If you have no power at the ignition switch, your problem lies between switch and main positive, work backwards from there. which means your problem is either in the charger connector interlock or MS 2 on the F/R selector. Since you get power to the buzzer, I think your problem may be in MS 2 on F/R selector. Go back and trace via wiring diagram linked above.

Note, I am still a newbie here myself, so I may have missed something, pay close attention to any corrections or additions that may be added by the experts.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:46 AM   #3
Edge540steve
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time respond. I feel a little dumb for posting as I am sure this has been asked over and over but I don’t seem to have one of the easy ones like a dead reed switch or solenoid.

I will look through the stickies and work through to figure out why I don’t see voltage at the key.

I have pack voltage from the reed to where it goes into the loom between the controller and the key but I haven’t found the other end of that red wire yet Unless it’s what is going to the buzzer?? guess I need to find that and keep following it. I keep seeing strange voltage at the key and on the solenoid triggers which I assume is a corroaded connection somewhere.

I do have full power across the solenoid and if I jump + and - to make the solenoid click the cart runs perfect in reverse from the pedal but nothing in forward.
Edge540steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:57 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Here's the first place to go. I'm guessing series, but my eyes ain't too good first thing.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

If it's series, here's all you need. I'll post mo' once the coffee kicks in.

Owners Manual for some newer electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/man...645-g01-gb.pdf

Technician's service and repair manual electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28646.pdf

Service Parts Manuals electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28789-g01.pdf
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:59 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time respond. I feel a little dumb for posting as I am sure this has been asked over and over but I don’t seem to have one of the easy ones like a dead reed switch or solenoid.

I will look through the stickies and work through to figure out why I don’t see voltage at the key.

I have pack voltage from the reed to where it goes into the loom between the controller and the key but I haven’t found the other end of that red wire yet Unless it’s what is going to the buzzer?? guess I need to find that and keep following it. I keep seeing strange voltage at the key and on the solenoid triggers which I assume is a corroaded connection somewhere.

I do have full power across the solenoid and if I jump + and - to make the solenoid click the cart runs perfect in reverse from the pedal but nothing in forward.
Based on the fact that you have a DMM and know how to use it, you're way ahead of many first timers.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:13 AM   #6
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:

The info I gave you was for a series cart, looks like you may have a PDS. Your F/R switch looks to be a rocker switch on dash? My bad. I am looking at the PDS wiring now. Use the diagram in the link to ID your cart, that should have been my first step.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #7
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
The info I gave you was for a series cart, looks like you may have a PDS. Your F/R switch looks to be a rocker switch on dash? My bad. I am looking at the PDS wiring now. Use the diagram in the link to ID your cart, that should have been my first step.
If your cart turns out to be PDS, which I think it is, See the PDS wiring diagram and troubleshooting in this link:

http://www.fsip.biz/Documents/EZ-GO%...%20Control.pdf

If this is the case, the reed switch goes to the controller and the key switch is fed directly from controller which means your controller is not providing power to the switch. Just follow the troubleshooting steps in the link above if you have a PDS
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO