lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2020, 01:56 PM   #21
VEXING
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: How often to add water to batteries

How common are these explosions with the Trojan Hydrolink watering system? Or any single point watering system?
VEXING is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2020, 05:23 PM   #22
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I dont think any one system does it any more often than the others, it was a battery short in one cell, the fill system was just the conduit to allow it to "spill over" into most or all of the other cells. I see a few if these a year, not super common. I cant think of any instances where it wasnt on old and/or abused batteries.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #23
VEXING
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok, thanks. Seems like the water level indicator on these is unreliable. I got my cart about two months ago and none of them ever turned white. Last weekend I pulled the caps off and every single battery appeared to be almost bone dry. Took 3.5 gallons of water to fill them up. I assume they weren't properly filled when I purchased from the dealership, despite being told otherwise.
VEXING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #24
AZgolfcartguy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEXING View Post
How common are these explosions with the Trojan Hydrolink watering system? Or any single point watering system?
I've never had an explosion on any pack with a watering system but, over the years, I've had frequent failures with Trojan's Hydrolink system. The worst part is that, because of they way they are designed, you might not notice it failing until your battery is already damaged. I had a couple where the "water level indicator" on the port actually fell into the cell itself.

I use a Battery Watering Technologies system on all my carts now and I've never had one fail.
AZgolfcartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #25
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I had a Trojan T1275 blow up once in my face and the cap broke my nose during a voltage check...I quickly learned not to hover over the batteries and check for tight connections before hitting the pedal...Every time I've had one explode it was because the gas had built up under the seat during charging cycle and a loose connection ignited it, which has happened 3 times over the last 15 years and is...hmmm...surprising when it happens. None of those had watering system attached and all were old batteries I tried to revive at customers request after returning from up north. I remove all watering systems from the carts we sell just in case they fail and educate customers on watering procedures.
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #26
Kyle.brown669
Not Yet Wild

I added 2 batteries to the bagwell since mine were only 2 months old and i converted to 48V. I got the flow-rite watering system and they have flame arrestors and are supposed to help with that. I only got it so i would not have to remove my rear seat each time i need to water.
Kyle.brown669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:19 PM   #27
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

When working as auto tech any years ago had a battery explode on me when trying to charge dead battery. It had a dry cell that shorted out and reason for battery being dead.

This when (maint.free) batteries were first introduced to market. Yea right. No such thing as a maint. Free lead acid battery.

Imo I would not trust automatic fill system, even if it worked can see where it could make one less likely to do regular battery maint. Like voltage checks and hydrometer checks.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:37 AM   #28
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Or just keeping it clean. I Will be doing 3rd rxv harness in 3 days for corrosion. I'm not doing them for fun, that's what happens when acid gets everywhere.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO