lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2020, 10:35 PM   #1
Jacobmarquez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Motor temp after programming stock controller

Question for Bob Boyce or Jeff. I just got my controller upgraded by Bob on my stock 2014 ezgo txt. I’ve never felt the motor before the upgrade, but should I expect the motor to be getting hotter then before the speed since it’s turning at a higher rpm? I’m planning to get an infrared temp gun to measure the temp, but what should the temp range be of my motor?

Note, everything in my cart is stock just had the controller programmed to go 19 mph instead of the stock 15mph

Also if my motor is higher then what is suggested what can I do to help reduce the temperature?
Jacobmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2020, 07:38 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Motor temp after programming stock controller

I wouldnt worry too much about it, let the controller do the worrying. On an RXV, The controller monitors your motors temp & will automatically take away power little by little if motor temp is nearing the upper threshold to protect the motor. I dont remember the temp values programmed in the controller off the top of my head.

Sounds like you have regular sized tires, and went with a very moderate setting at 19 mph, with those two things considered, the only way your setup would overheat the motor is if you drastically overloaded the cart, like towing a automobile with it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobmarquez View Post
Question for Bob Boyce or Jeff. I just got my controller upgraded by Bob on my stock 2014 ezgo txt. I’ve never felt the motor before the upgrade, but should I expect the motor to be getting hotter then before the speed since it’s turning at a higher rpm? I’m planning to get an infrared temp gun to measure the temp, but what should the temp range be of my motor?

Note, everything in my cart is stock just had the controller programmed to go 19 mph instead of the stock 15mph

Also if my motor is higher then what is suggested what can I do to help reduce the temperature?
The difference that you are expecting is actually backwards. Airflow across the motor increases as speed increases, increasing motor cooling. Motors actually run hotter at lower speeds. Your cart is not going to be radically different than it used to be, other than you will burn through your battery pack faster if you radically alter your driving style. Romping on the go pedal more to enjoy the increased accel will use more power and heat your motor faster. That is one habit that needs to be avoided. Only use it when it is needed. Like racing neighbors, ect. LOL
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
Jacobmarquez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a 2014 ezgo txt, not an RXV, does what you said still apply to my cart?
Old 07-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #5
Jacobmarquez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
The difference that you are expecting is actually backwards. Airflow across the motor increases as speed increases, increasing motor cooling. Motors actually run hotter at lower speeds. Your cart is not going to be radically different than it used to be, other than you will burn through your battery pack faster if you radically alter your driving style. Romping on the go pedal more to enjoy the increased accel will use more power and heat your motor faster. That is one habit that needs to be avoided. Only use it when it is needed. Like racing neighbors, ect. LOL
I totally understand what your saying about the driving habits! With yesterday being the first day with the new controller, I think I ran it a bit harder then normal. And did race a few neighbors, so I guess I did use that for those needs!
Old 07-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobmarquez View Post
I have a 2014 ezgo txt, not an RXV, does what you said still apply to my cart?
If your asking about my response, no, the TXT does not know its motor temp.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #7
dptester
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

At what temperature does the RXV begin to reduce power? Is that the "Temperature Hot" parameter which is 145 degrees C? If so, that is pretty hot! Are you more likely to overheat the controller first and does anyone know what the maximum temperature for the Curtis controller is?
dptester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Curtis controller Cutbacks start at 140c for motor, 85c for controller (95c = shutdown).
I also included Danaher specs, 150c motor, 120c controller. (I believe these are the shutdown point, after cutbacks have not had enough effect).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200727-193257_Drive.jpg (145.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200727-193212_Drive.jpg (195.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200727-193931_Drive.jpg (273.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2020, 11:22 PM   #9
dptester
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Good info. Thank you!
dptester is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO