lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
wanderjax
Not Yet Wild

Default 6 Seater Build or Buy

Hello BGW! Noob here looking for some guidance.

I'm in the market to purchase a new or "new to me" Club Car. I live in a beach community so I'm told the Club Car is the brand I "have to have" since I live at the beach because they are made with an aluminum frame.

I would like to get a 6 seater cart as we have a growing family and primarily that cart will be used to beat back and forth to the beach hauling myself, wife, kids, friends and a days worth of beach gear, surfboards etc. The cart will be 98% street driven and I am required to have this cart street legal in the state of Florida.

My search over the past month has me more consumed with what choice to make than I anticipated. I'll list my options below and fill in as much of my thinking as I can. I look forward to feedback.

My starting point was finding a refurbished cart by a local company that will sell me a off lease cart that will be sent to a facility to be stretched and welded. All the refurb suppliers I talk to suggest this is the way to go and that everyone else will use a "bolt on kit" that will make the cart sag and fall apart. ironically I've talked to probably 5-6 dealers that build carts this way and they all say they're the only company that has their carts frame welded. I have a lot of apprehension buying a cart from these guys because I dont feel like any of them are shooting me straight. Top that off with as a young adult I worked at a country club in the cart barn schlepping bags for members and cleaning clubs and carts. I am intimately knowledgeable about how these carts are treated by not just members but staff. We drove them hard, people flipped them, drove them into lakes, make them pop wheelies whatever we could do to abuse them we did it and more.

I've looked at a brand new 2020 CC Onward 6 seater. No doubt this is a sweet rig. We really like the peppy throttle response and continuous power generation you get from the AC drive motor and my wife likes the fact that she gets a battery meter with a % of charge left as it adds a layer of comfort to her instead of the bar meter on the DC carts. Factory warranty, dealer has a cart in a color and trim package that we really like. Lots of storage options on the Onward in the front seat and also under the rear seats. The only real con is the price point. This cart listed at $18k and they want another $1k to make it street legal. By the time I pay tax and tag I will be well into it for $20k and for that price point I could go buy a jeep! Does anyone have any experience buying new? Can I negotiate this price down 10-15%? I'm happy to pay for a quality cart with a warranty but I think it would be foolish to walk in and write a check for something that I didn't try and get a deal on. To me this isnt much like buying an auto. I've got 3-4 different Ford dealers within a 50 mile radius of my home so it's a no brainer to haggle and get the best deal I can. With a golf cart there isnt the amount of choice or availability of the product customized to your liking so I can see the dealers telling me to take a hike and the price is the price. Is there any leverage as a new cart buyer? Any insight into buying new is appreciated. I can see myself owning this cart for a minimum of 10 years so putting it on a depreciation curve I can justify the expense in some way but for nearly half the cost I can purchase a refurbished unit, customize it to my exact liking and save some cash.

Another item important to me is speed. The new cart looks to top out around 20mph. I assume with it being under warranty they would frown upon me making any upgrades to add some top end speed. Since I'm driving primarily on public roads I would like the cart to go 30mph to at least get close to the speed limit. Reading on this forum it seems fairly easy to pop the navitas system in place and get some real power gains. I could upgrade to the AC motor to give my wife the peace of mind she is looking for as well.

My search for speed led me to the Icon carts. Theres very little information out there on them but the lifted carts I'm told will get near or surpass 30mph stock. Buyers seem to be very pleased. (my local Icon dealer wait list has 46 people on it if that tells you anything) I have a hard time pulling the trigger on the Icon after I learned it was built in China. Also anyone selling Club Car immediately talks trash about the Icon product, parts availability etc but it mostly seems to be hearsay with no one factually stating they have had issues with them. I've seen some hot debate on this forum about these carts as well so if anyone wants to chime in about this brand please do. A similarly optioned Icon cart is nearly 50% less expensive than the Club Car.

My apologies for a such a long post but I need some unbiased advice. I look forward to feedback and discussion.

Cheers!
wanderjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 6 Seater Build or Buy

I saw an Icon cart for the very first time this past weekend. I had never even heard of them.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlPack View Post
I saw an Icon cart for the very first time this past weekend. I had never even heard of them.
There are at least 3 carts that are identical to the Icon but with different names that I've seen in person or on the web. All made in China but shipped in pieces and assembled in various places in the US.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #4
wanderjax
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
There are at least 3 carts that are identical to the Icon but with different names that I've seen in person or on the web. All made in China but shipped in pieces and assembled in various places in the US.
That’s what I heard. The article linked on another thread says the owner found a partner overseas to help him build them. I was told by the club car dealer it’s a star cart with different panels and the welds look like bubblegum.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:54 AM   #5
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Don't misunderstand, I love my Club Car but before I dropped $20K on a new cart I would consider a different option based upon your needs. You might want to take a look at a Kawasaki Mule Pro-FXT. It comes in "bright white" which I think your wife and children would think is "cute". I realize they are gas vs. electric golf cart but they are amazingly quiet and a lot more fun to drive than a golf cart, to me at least. I have an older one and love it. When I need extra speed or for hauling it fits the bill. Personally, I think it's a safer option for what you described. Just my opinion....

Edit: Sorry, these might not be street legal in your area. I was thinking about a private beach community.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
wanderjax
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
Don't misunderstand, I love my Club Car but before I dropped $20K on a new cart I would consider a different option based upon your needs. You might want to take a look at a Kawasaki Mule Pro-FXT.
Great feedback. I’ll take a look at this and see if I’m able to make it street legal in my area.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #7
mattkovo
Not Yet Wild

I stretched my Precedent last weekend. Probably could have done it in a day if my kids weren't "helping". I don't see how welding the frame would make any difference in it sagging. The bolts hold it in place just fine. I used a Madjax kit that has the extensions that actually insert a foot or so into the existing frame. Unless they are building some sort of custom frame extension or frame support, I can't imagine welding makes any difference.
mattkovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
ManofSteel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If you're in Florida, look around Orlando. For other dealers and for people selling used. LOTS of old people and retirement communities where people use them a lot and will buy/sell/trade them as they get 'old' (carts and people).

Also, depending on where you are, you dont need Florida street legal, only local. Other places dont really care about either. But to be 'legal' you need a windshield, seat belts for all passengers, working brake lights and turn signals, a grab bar if you have rear seat and a slow moving cart triangle. Minimum speed is something low, like 15 or 20 mph. Getting it street legal is easy and can be done for less then $1000.
ManofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #9
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderjax View Post
That’s what I heard. The article linked on another thread says the owner found a partner overseas to help him build them. I was told by the club car dealer it’s a star cart with different panels and the welds look like bubblegum.
Hey wanderjax...I have a new 2020 Icon...now with over 1200 miles on the odo. Icon is not a Star not by any means totally different manufactures...I had one I know (pile of junk that one). The dealer misled you on that one

Icon comes standard with 4 wheel hydraulic disc brakes ...Club Car,EZGO,nor Yamaha offer 4 wheel brakes let alone 4 wheel hydraulic disc brakes.
Shaame on them to charge so much and not include 4 wheel hydraulic disc brakes.

Icon comes standard with a very nice instrument panel !! Not even offerred by the big 3.

Icon motor made by Toyota and the 350amp controller by Toyota as well.

And not forget stock out of the box 28mph with a 630lb agm 48v battery pack!!

Icon does make a variety of models...

https://iconev.com/product-category/recreation/

and:

https://iconev.com/product-category/hotel-and-resort/

where you can find and 8 seater cart

I chose Icon because features, price and quality.

Carts do come in 6 seater config from factory with the frame already
designed for the load.

I just can't see paying the outrageous prices from the big 3 when many of
their parts are chinese sourced to begin with.
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:46 PM   #10
Danimal1228
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkovo View Post
I stretched my Precedent last weekend. Probably could have done it in a day if my kids weren't "helping". I don't see how welding the frame would make any difference in it sagging. The bolts hold it in place just fine. I used a Madjax kit that has the extensions that actually insert a foot or so into the existing frame. Unless they are building some sort of custom frame extension or frame support, I can't imagine welding makes any difference.
Hey mattkovo,

Which stretch kit did you use? I am also looking to stretch a precedent and have watched that madjax YouTube video 10 times. Where did you order the kit and what was the final cost if you don't mind? Any advice for someone looking to do the same?

Thanks
Danimal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car