lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
Hugooda
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo PDS Noise after repair from being under water - bearing ?

hello, I have replaced all the toast parts after my kids drove my golf cart in a lake. The golf cart stayed about 1 hour in the lake. Battery were submerged by water but are perfectly fine. I replaced solenoid and controller which were toast by water. The golf cart dried for about 1 month. I removed the motor to dry it faster. This week I reinstalled everything. golf cart is working !

But now my cart is pretty noisy especially at high speed on the rear end. Like a loud humming noise. I cannot figure out if it’s the motor or the axle / wheel bearing. I am trying to decide if I open the motor and replace the bearing or I just leave it and live with the noise. Any advise is appreciate

I have a nice picture of the cart in the lake !!!
Hugooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2020, 12:10 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Ezgo PDS Noise after repair from being under water - bearing ?

So, you did promptly drain, clean & refill the axle oil, right? If not, you will likely have noise issues from now on.

The axle usually has a vent, and it will always let water in.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Hugooda
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info, I actually didn't do anything on the axle other that letting it dry. So that's probably what I need to do. Hopefully it's not too late.

Is there any instructions on how to clean & refill the axle oil ?
Old 07-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Been there done that. It is either the motor bearing or the rear end. If you are handy you can pull all the gears and press on new bearing if there is no pitting in gears. I just bought another rear end, could not stand he noise any longer.
( See my profile pic)
jhnmflr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Remove black metal cover & let the nasty slime run out for a few hours. Hose it out with brake parts cleaner. Refill with new cheapo motor oil & spin it with the wheels in the air (not max speed/rpm). Repeat the "drain, clean, refill, run" steps until the fluid comes out clear & not milky at all. Then clean the metal cover & axle in preperation for final reseal & fluid fill with the 85w90 gear oil.

Since the rear cover will be coming off & on a few times, theres no point in cleaning the silicone & resealing it every time. Clean & reseal it with silicone the final time, when your done.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #6
Hugooda
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the details step, one question though about the black metal cover.

I removed all the screws from the black metal cover and it's not moving. I am wondering if it's silicon or glue. any suggestions on how removing that cover ? using an hammer ?
Old 07-30-2020, 01:32 PM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Should be a gasket seal....should pry off. Might take a little effort if its been there a while.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

The factory just used silicone (even tho the parts system shows a gasket). I just use a putty knife/gasket scraper & a hammer to knock it loose. Leave the most rearward cover bolt about 1/2 way in, itll catch the cover so it doesnt fly off & fling oil everywhere.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:09 AM   #9
Hugooda
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, I am going to try that and let you know how it goes
Old 08-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #10
Hugooda
Not Yet Wild

Hi, so I remove fuild and clean differential. The humming noise is still there but a a little better. So now I am trying to decide if I look at the wheel bearing and then finally look at the motor bearing. Any advice on which one to look at first. I am think there could be some water in axle still I need to clean that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO