lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2020, 07:20 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 ez go with no power at key switch.

The red wire coming out of the wiring harness should have battery pack voltage on it and when the direction selector lever is in either F or R, the blue wire leading away from that switch (MS-2) should also have pack voltage on it.

As for the voltage found on the switch's mounting screws and other places, it is a phantom voltage that can be measured only because the input impedance of the DVM you are using is very high (a Megohm or more) and there are no perfect insulators. If you used a low impedance meter, such as a 20kΩ/V analog type, it wouldn't make the needle flicker.

Due to the ever so slight leakage current through insulators, there is a voltage potential between B- at the battery pack to most anyplace on the cart, but the ability to pass amps hardly exists. In a nutshell, if your meter has a 1MΩ input impedance, the pack voltage is 38V and the voltage measured on the F/R frame is 20V, then the Ohmic value of the insulation between the F/R frame and B+ is roughly 1MΩ. (Roughly 1/2 of the B+ voltage is being dropped by the insulation resistance and the other 1/2 by the meter's input impedance. You can do the math for the exact value.)

If you really want to scare yourself, plug a metal cased appliance into a wall outlet using a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter and measure the AC voltage on the case.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2020, 07:29 PM   #12
georgia088
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by del50man View Post
I am getting voltage on both big bolts on the solenoid and none on the small positive side.
I get .05 ish when key switch is off on ms2 and nothing when key switch is on.
I get 12v at the reed switch when I disconnect the white wire coming from the reed switch that connects to the red wire headed to Ms 2
The reed switch connects directly to pack (+) voltage. You should have pack voltage there. If not, you are not going to have it at the key switch. (Which you need). Make sure you bypass the reed switch in a way that it is delivering pack voltage to ms2 micro switch.
georgia088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:31 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by del50man View Post
I am getting voltage on both big bolts on the solenoid and none on the small positive side.
I get .05 ish when key switch is off on ms2 and nothing when key switch is on.
I get 12v at the reed switch when I disconnect the white wire coming from the reed switch that connects to the red wire headed to Ms 2
Just to verify. You do have the DVM's negative (black) test lead connected to the battery pack's main negative terminal?

If so, there ought to be battery pack voltage on both sides of the reed switch whether the output side of the red switch is connected to anything or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch bypass.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:10 AM   #14
del50man
Gone Wild

Club Car

I will recheck the reed switch voltage tonight.
I did run a jumper wire to the solenoid and it clicked along with tires moved when I hit the gas pedal.
del50man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #15
del50man
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you everyone for the input. Just purchased a new reed switch!
del50man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO