lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #1
dgcurtis
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Naviatas AC conversion on 2005 precedent

I just completed the AC conversion yesterday but it was an all weekend event. I purchased the Navitas 5kw motor/controller conversion. I did this on my 2005 Precendent that I had converted to 8V batteries a few years ago. I had read decent reviews of it and watched numerous videos so I decided to take the plunge. I had already ordered an Alltrax XCT 500 and changed my mind later so I'll need to sell it. :)

When I originally ordered the Alltrax, I had ordered the 2 gauge wire upgrade so I was still able to use it.

I had the hardest time getting the stock motor off of my cart and ended up destroying the armature getting it off of the spline. I'd never had a motor this rusted onto the spline before. 4 hours later, the spline was free.

I was able to install everything without have to cut/splice any of the existing wiring. I upgraded to a larger solenoid so I had to make some jumper wires to switch from spade terminals to ring terminals. Also the stock motor and battery cables had multiple cables crimped into the terminals so I had to make new jumper cables for those as well. I don't generally like to cut stock wiring harnesses unless absolutely necessary.

The only issue I ran into was the since the new motor is slightly longer, I couldn't fit the passenger rear shock. I have the Jake's 6 inch spindle lift and the motor is in the way of being able to put the shock into the mount hole on top of the spring. The mount plate on top of the spring is only about 1/4 inch away from the motor so something seems off. I had recently re-installed the lift after having it off of the cart for a few years. Even before putting the new motor on, I had the hardest time getting the shock to line up with the mounting hole. I double checked the spring and it's installed the correct way (longer portion towards the front of the cart) so I'm not sure why it's off by so much. I've ordered the dual action rear springs and shocks that only have the shaft on the lower section. We'll see if that helps.

Now that it's installed, all I can say is: wow! What a huge difference. I had installed 500 and 600 amp DC controllers and motors on other carts but they still don't match this. Being able to change the settings on the fly with the controller is sweet. I'm on 23 inch tires and it can easily do 30mph but I'm not leaving it that high. I had it set to 25mph and it was climbing a pretty steep hill at 20mph.

I've bought rear disc brakes to swap out the drums. I can't find anyone with the Jake's front hydraulic brake kit in stock to add on but I do plan on putting those on as well.

I'm extremely happy with the upgrade and would recommend it. I had just bought brand new lead acid batteries. In fact, the first ride after the AC install was the first time I had used them so I'll need to break them in. I kind of wished I had bought lithiums but the AC conversion was quite a bit so I can wait until these batteries start to die.
dgcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Naviatas AC conversion on 2005 precedent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcurtis View Post
I just completed the AC conversion yesterday but it was an all weekend event. I purchased the Navitas 5kw motor/controller conversion. I did this on my 2005 Precendent that I had converted to 8V batteries a few years ago. I had read decent reviews of it and watched numerous videos so I decided to take the plunge. I had already ordered an Alltrax XCT 500 and changed my mind later so I'll need to sell it. :)

When I originally ordered the Alltrax, I had ordered the 2 gauge wire upgrade so I was still able to use it.

I had the hardest time getting the stock motor off of my cart and ended up destroying the armature getting it off of the spline. I'd never had a motor this rusted onto the spline before. 4 hours later, the spline was free.

I was able to install everything without have to cut/splice any of the existing wiring. I upgraded to a larger solenoid so I had to make some jumper wires to switch from spade terminals to ring terminals. Also the stock motor and battery cables had multiple cables crimped into the terminals so I had to make new jumper cables for those as well. I don't generally like to cut stock wiring harnesses unless absolutely necessary.

The only issue I ran into was the since the new motor is slightly longer, I couldn't fit the passenger rear shock. I have the Jake's 6 inch spindle lift and the motor is in the way of being able to put the shock into the mount hole on top of the spring. The mount plate on top of the spring is only about 1/4 inch away from the motor so something seems off. I had recently re-installed the lift after having it off of the cart for a few years. Even before putting the new motor on, I had the hardest time getting the shock to line up with the mounting hole. I double checked the spring and it's installed the correct way (longer portion towards the front of the cart) so I'm not sure why it's off by so much. I've ordered the dual action rear springs and shocks that only have the shaft on the lower section. We'll see if that helps.

Now that it's installed, all I can say is: wow! What a huge difference. I had installed 500 and 600 amp DC controllers and motors on other carts but they still don't match this. Being able to change the settings on the fly with the controller is sweet. I'm on 23 inch tires and it can easily do 30mph but I'm not leaving it that high. I had it set to 25mph and it was climbing a pretty steep hill at 20mph.

I've bought rear disc brakes to swap out the drums. I can't find anyone with the Jake's front hydraulic brake kit in stock to add on but I do plan on putting those on as well.

I'm extremely happy with the upgrade and would recommend it. I had just bought brand new lead acid batteries. In fact, the first ride after the AC install was the first time I had used them so I'll need to break them in. I kind of wished I had bought lithiums but the AC conversion was quite a bit so I can wait until these batteries start to die.

Thank you so much for your report! There are many of us who might be unsure of doing the conversion, you have cemented the Navitas conversion for me!
How was doing the motor switch? Did you remove the rear axel? Did you have to remove it and drop it on the ground 5o shock it free? If you left the axel in place did you r3move the rear body work? Please elaborate, and thank you again for the info
Mikefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:03 AM   #3
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefili View Post
Thank you so much for your report! There are many of us who might be unsure of doing the conversion, you have cemented the Navitas conversion for me!
How was doing the motor switch? Did you remove the rear axel? Did you have to remove it and drop it on the ground 5o shock it free? If you left the axel in place did you r3move the rear body work? Please elaborate, and thank you again for the info
I did this conversion on a 2018 Onward, with factory lift. I did it w/out removing rear axel and it was possible to r/r motor from underneath the cart. That rear passenger side damper/shock did need to be removed to get the Navitas motor into place, but I didn't have an issue putting it back in once the motor was in place. It is pretty close to the motor housing though when it is all put back together, but not so close that it would ever touch or hit anything.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #4
dgcurtis
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefili View Post
I ended up removing the reat seat. It was too much of a pain to try to work completely through the access panel. I didn't end up removing the rear body but if I had to do it again, I probably would.

Normally, I wouldn't remove the axle but I had to in order to remove the stock motor (it was REALLY stuck). I attached the axle back to the cart and put the motor on. Basically, I used the floor jack under the axle but not touching the axle so that the arm of the jack raised the motor up on the "front" side of the axle. From there, I muscled it onto the spline. That 5kw motor is very heavy (70+ lbs). I put some anti-seize onto the spline before putting the new motor on.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:24 PM   #5
tylem_28
Not Yet Wild

awesome! Just installed the same kit a few weeks ago on my 2017 club car precedent. I love it. So much faster. Next upgrade will be lithium batteries for sure. undecided with lithium setup though.

i have a lift on mine but getting the old motor old wasn't terrible but putting the new one in was a pain. So heavy and a tight space.
tylem_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #6
dgcurtis
Getting Wild

Club Car

The new shocks came in last night. While it technically fits, it would hit the motor as soon as it hit the first bump. I'll try taking some pictures and maybe someone can tell me what I'm missing.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:33 PM   #7
ousuxndallas
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

dgcurtis: I sent you a PM. Interested in buying your Alltrax XCT if you are selling it.
ousuxndallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #8
SKD
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I completed the same AC conversion a couple of weeks ago as well. I was able to get the motor in with axle and shock in place - although it was tight. I have around 3/4" of clearance between the shock and motor, photo attached.

I'm pleased as well with the performance, big increase over the Executioner I removed. With the torque dialed up it'll pull the passenger wheel off the ground just a bit taking off hard from a dead stop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2742.jpg (435.8 KB, 0 views)
SKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #9
dgcurtis
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKD View Post
I completed the same AC conversion a couple of weeks ago as well. I was able to get the motor in with axle and shock in place - although it was tight. I have around 3/4" of clearance between the shock and motor, photo attached.

I'm pleased as well with the performance, big increase over the Executioner I removed. With the torque dialed up it'll pull the passenger wheel off the ground just a bit taking off hard from a dead stop.
Thanks for posting that. I wish there was as much room on my axle. The top of the shock mount too is boxed in on mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg passenger_side.jpg (88.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-14-2021, 08:29 PM   #10
Hottdoggin
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

People are gettin even better results out of the new silverwolf teekon 9kw ac conversion. Average seems to be 40mph, and better efficiency too
There's a carts shop in wellington fl, the owner seems to be their go to dealer. The manufacturer rounded me to him and he gave me a solid deal, saved a couple hundred bucks
Hottdoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car