lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2021, 09:02 PM   #11
hyzdufan
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery and Charging Problems

Oh my. I’m a moron. When I overfilled the one battery and then had to remove it to dump the water out, I put it back in the tray backwards. So it was negative to negative. Oh man I’m dumb. Wow. That’s embarrassing.

Haha - so next mystery, how about that broken orange/white wire underneath?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48962CAE-462C-4B06-8162-7C7DB0729A58.jpg (123.6 KB, 0 views)
hyzdufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2021, 04:53 AM   #12
Scott quail
Gone Wild

That switch is for brake lights. The orange wire looks to have come off that switch. On the top side if the switch there is a connector that the wire looks to have come out of. A new ring connector and put that wire back om the switch and your brake lights should work assuming they are hooked up.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:07 AM   #13
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott quail View Post
That switch is for brake lights. The orange wire looks to have come off that switch. On the top side if the switch there is a connector that the wire looks to have come out of. A new ring connector and put that wire back om the switch and your brake lights should work assuming they are hooked up.

The switch needs to be removed to get to the screws.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:10 AM   #14
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyzdufan View Post
Oh my. I’m a moron. When I overfilled the one battery and then had to remove it to dump the water out
Next time....and there will be a next time....get a turkey baster to do your watering. If you put too much, you can easily take some back out.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:27 PM   #15
hyzdufan
Not Yet Wild

So some more data, as I did what I think is called "load testing" by hooking up my multi-meter to the ends of the battery series to monitor drops. Here's what I found.

Starting voltage: 38V
Flat Surfaces: 36.6V
Moderate Grade Hill: 34.9V when pushing pedal, eventually stabilize between 35 and 36V.

Downhill : 18-20mph
Flat Ground: 15-17mph
Moderate Grade 9-11mph, dropped to 8mph at steepest part

How do these numbers look? Is this type of performance expected? I feel like it was crawling up that moderate grade - it wasn't that steep.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:51 PM   #16
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
So some more data, as I did what I think is called "load testing" by hooking up my multi-meter to the ends of the battery series to monitor drops. Here's what I found.

Starting voltage: 38V
Flat Surfaces: 36.6V
Moderate Grade Hill: 34.9V when pushing pedal, eventually stabilize between 35 and 36V.

Downhill : 18-20mph
Flat Ground: 15-17mph
Moderate Grade 9-11mph, dropped to 8mph at steepest part

How do these numbers look? Is this type of performance expected? I feel like it was crawling up that moderate grade - it wasn't that steep.
I'm sorry to say those numbers are not too great. I believe your batteries are going to fail. Try two charges in succession and see if it improves.

If you have a hydrometer, available at auto parts stores or Amazon, check the specific gravity of each cell. If any are in the red, that battery is going to die soon. If any are in the yellow, they will not last much longer either.

If you happen to have a battery load tester, you can stress test the batteries which will give you another look at their health.

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Ba...s%2C171&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-2433...9845343&sr=8-6

Both of these are available at Harbor Freight also.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:21 PM   #17
hyzdufan
Not Yet Wild

Got the hydrometer and all cells across all six batteries read nearly as high as possible in the “Good” range. Load tester will be here from Amazon tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #18
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Do several complete charges (overnite) with 12 hours in between. You may be able to somewhat "revive" those batteries. Watch the water.....fill after a full charge, they'll probably use a lot during the process.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #19
hyzdufan
Not Yet Wild

Do I need to deplete the batteries by driving around between charges, or just charge overnight, add water, repeat? I did notice that some of them absorbed the water I had added previously - and even though I didn't use it, it charged for an hour after adding water before saying it was full.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:53 AM   #20
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Do I need to deplete the batteries by driving around between charges, or just charge overnight, add water, repeat? I did notice that some of them absorbed the water I had added previously - and even though I didn't use it, it charged for an hour after adding water before saying it was full.
Like Bama Brad said, just restart the charger each day even if you don't drive it. I may have missed it earlier but what kind of charger do you have? Is it a smart charger or an older type?

The specific gravity is good but that only tells part of the story. The pack voltage and battery voltages are the most important.

Test each battery with the load tester. Again nothing needs to be disconnected to do that. With the load tester on the 6 volt scale, you will know right away if each battery is capable of handling your driving load.

Hopefully you may be able to salvage most of them and just purchase one or two to save money, but inevitably a complete pack or lithium conversion will be your best bet.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car