lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2021, 01:05 PM   #1
gofast67
Gone Wild

Default CC DS 36 resistor coil cart

Hello all, I am having an issue with this cc. I can jack it up ,and it will spin the tires. When I put it on the ground it will barely move. Pack voltage only drops about a volt and a half when pedal is depressed while sitting on the floor. I am leaning towards motor, but not sure what else to test.
gofast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2021, 01:27 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: CC DS 36 resistor coil cart

If you are reading 36 volts, the batteries are essentially dead.

Check pack voltage 12 hours after fully charging. Also check individual battery voltages. No need to disconnect anything. List them here.

You should have at least 38.2 volts across the pack and 6.37 on each battery.

Also check all battery cable connections for cleanliness and tightness.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 03:07 PM   #3
gofast67
Gone Wild

I have 37.92 on the pack. Hasn't been on charge for a week. All cables on battery pack are new. Also cables going to coils are good and clean also.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:13 PM   #4
gofast67
Gone Wild

This is what it is at right now. So 38 and some change. I thought earlier it was at 37 and change. All looks fine here with that. Cart ran about 1.5 miles then basically quit moving.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast67 View Post
I have 37.92 on the pack. Hasn't been on charge for a week. All cables on battery pack are new. Also cables going to coils are good and clean also.
That's about 95% charge which is good. Are any of the batteries reading much less that the other 5?

The brushes in the motor may be bad allowing it to free-wheel jacked up but fail under load.

Hook up your volt meter across the pack and see what the voltage drops to when you push the go pedal.

The main contactor or any of them may not be closing properly. You can check voltage across the main contacts while you try to drive it by alligator clipping the leads to the main contacts. You should read 0 volts.

Other than these things, I have little more to offer. A clamp type dc amperage meter would be nice to have right now but they are pricey. Maybe a mechanic you know could check it for you. You should see 70 to 100 amps on takeoff.

I'll keep dwelling on this. Let's see if a resistor coil expert will jump in here.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:24 PM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

This is what it is at right now. So 38 and some change. I thought earlier it was at 37 and change. All looks fine here with that. Cart ran about 1.5 miles then basically quit moving.
You're right, not too bad. How old are the batteries? You can have voltage but low amperage availability. Do the clip on meter across the first contactor when trying it.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #7
gofast67
Gone Wild

Batteries are dated June 21 interstate brand. You lost me on how to test something
Old 08-24-2021, 04:36 PM   #8
gofast67
Gone Wild

I just had the motor apart,brushes are good and not stuck at all. Armature looks a lil worn,but not really grooved up. I did continuity and all look good. Fill me in on how to test the contactor or whatever it is? Also I have a question, I can ck all the cables across the coils. I have full voltage on the drivers side,but when I ck each one all the way to the passenger side. It drops voltage at each cable.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I just had the motor apart,brushes are good and not stuck at all. Armature looks a lil worn,but not really grooved up. I did continuity and all look good. Fill me in on how to test the contactor or whatever it is? Also I have a question, I can ck all the cables across the coils. I have full voltage on the drivers side,but when I ck each one all the way to the passenger side. It drops voltage at each cable.
If you are checking across each coil, since they are resistors, there will be a voltage drop across each one. That's normal.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:02 PM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Batteries are dated June 21 interstate brand. You lost me on how to test something
Let's back up here since no one wants to jump in and bail me out!

I didn't know they were brand new batteries!

What is the serial number of your cart?

Does your cart have a v-glide?

Go to the wiring diagram stickies and find your wiring diagram.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car