lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
Papas 73Dart
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Motor no reverse

I have a 2007 Precedent that had been in a flood. So I jacked up the cart and disconnected the wire to test the motor function . First off I did an ohmmeter test to be sure there were no dead shorts or open circuits. When that displayed no problems I ran a jumper from A1 to F1 then I took my booster cables from a good 12 volt source and connected the leads to A2 and F2. So far all was good motor started rotating in forward direction and no great arcs and sparks when i made the connections. However when I reversed the power connections the motor still went in forward it would NOT go into reverse no matter how many times i tried the connections. WHAT am i missing?? Also the resistor on the solenoid got so hot it burned the plastic sleeves and the wire broke.
Papas 73Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Motor no reverse

By shorting A1 to F1 you just destroyed the controller. Out of curiousity where did you ever get that idea to check the motor?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #3
Papas 73Dart
Getting Wild
Yamaha

If you had read my post fully you would see that I disconnected the wiring from the controller and ISOLATED the motor . At no time was there a connection between the controller and the motor whilei was testing
Old 08-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

To power test a Sepex motor you have to jumper both A1-F1 and A2-F2. To reverse direction, switch the jumpers from A1-F2 and A2-F1. Positive supply should go on A1 and negative on A2. Typically rotation direction doesn't matter, as long as the motor spins it's usually fine.

Good chance the controller was bad from the flooding. Good idea to remove the motor and see if there is moisture inside. If there is it could lead to major issues later on, even if the motor works right now.
Check the motor for continuity A1 to A2, and F1 to F2 should have continuity.
Any A post to any F post should have NO continuity.
Any A or F post to the motor case should have NO continuity. If that checks out pop another controller in it. I would also recommend replacing the main wire harness in the cart because water damage in the wiring will cause you all sorts of headaches.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:55 PM   #5
Papas 73Dart
Getting Wild
Yamaha

That certain makes sense . The harness definitely has issues. The cart was from a flood over a year ago.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car