lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2021, 07:48 AM   #1
IT_Andy
Not Yet Wild

Default CC Onward HP - Fault - CC BT Soundbar and Generic LED Strips

Greetings all,

I have a new CC Onward HP (Li-ion, although I don't think that matters for this particular issue). I also have the new CC Bluetooth Soundbar.

Wife wanted LED lights that flash to the music, so I installed an LED controller with a line-in. I'm running the lights/controller off a small battery pack. The Soundbar has a line-out jack (1/8" TRS style). I bought a 9' 1/8" to 1/8" cable.

The Issue: Whenever I connect the line-out of the speaker bar to the line-in of the LED controller, my cart displays FAULT under the charge meter and the cart will not operate. As soon as I unplug the jack from the LED controller, the fault goes away, I hear the loud click from under the seat and the cart will operate normally. To be clear, the cable is still connected to the cart; just not the LED Controller.

Any ideas as to what might be the cause? I've spent countless hours trying to figure out what's going on and just am at a loss. I'm hesitant to connect it back again; even to something like an iphone instead of the LED Controller. Seeing FAULT, and the risking rendering the cart unusable gives me too much anxiety. LOL. I've abandoned hope of getting this to work... but remain curious as to how this cable connected to the line-out of the bluetooth speaker could be causing a fault in the cart.
IT_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2021, 08:41 AM   #2
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Re: CC Onward HP - Fault - CC BT Soundbar and Generic LED Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT_Andy View Post
Greetings all,

I have a new CC Onward HP (Li-ion, although I don't think that matters for this particular issue). I also have the new CC Bluetooth Soundbar.

Wife wanted LED lights that flash to the music, so I installed an LED controller with a line-in. I'm running the lights/controller off a small battery pack. The Soundbar has a line-out jack (1/8" TRS style). I bought a 9' 1/8" to 1/8" cable.

The Issue: Whenever I connect the line-out of the speaker bar to the line-in of the LED controller, my cart displays FAULT under the charge meter and the cart will not operate. As soon as I unplug the jack from the LED controller, the fault goes away, I hear the loud click from under the seat and the cart will operate normally. To be clear, the cable is still connected to the cart; just not the LED Controller.

Any ideas as to what might be the cause? I've spent countless hours trying to figure out what's going on and just am at a loss. I'm hesitant to connect it back again; even to something like an iphone instead of the LED Controller. Seeing FAULT, and the risking rendering the cart unusable gives me too much anxiety. LOL. I've abandoned hope of getting this to work... but remain curious as to how this cable connected to the line-out of the bluetooth speaker could be causing a fault in the cart.
Not sure exactly how the Club Car sound bar or your light controller box / lights are wired, but sounds like possibly voltage from your small battery might be on the ground pin/wire of the 1/8" audio cable, creating an issue at the soundbar that presumably the cart is picking up on. You could try lifting the ground (which might make the audio portion driving the lights not work) and see if that fixes things as far as the error code goes. If that works, you might be able to use a ground-loop isolator (usually $5-10) in line with the 1/8" cable to keep the ground issue from happening while hopefully also allowing the audio signal to properly drive your light controller.
Good luck with it.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #3
IT_Andy
Not Yet Wild

Hey, thanks for your response! I get what you're saying, and appreciate that insight. Here's a link to all the parts; perhaps that will provide some better context.

This is the LED controller https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the cable connecting the soundbar to the controller is just a 1/8" headphone jack to 1/8" headphone jack: https://www.btf-lighting.com/collect...oller-dc5v-24v

This is the soundbar:
https://www.clubcar.com/en-us/club-c...ooth-sound-bar
Old 09-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #4
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Hey, thanks for your response! I get what you're saying, and appreciate that insight. Here's a link to all the parts; perhaps that will provide some better context.

This is the LED controller https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the cable connecting the soundbar to the controller is just a 1/8" headphone jack to 1/8" headphone jack: https://www.btf-lighting.com/collect...oller-dc5v-24v

This is the soundbar:
https://www.clubcar.com/en-us/club-c...ooth-sound-bar
So I see links to 2 different light controllers, but they appear to basically be the same as far as connections.

The Amazon one shows a photo of a 4 conductor 1/8" cable - which could be a problem if you are using that (or if the input "y" cable that comes with it uses 4 conductors). The 1/8" cable you are using from BT speaker to light controller presumably is a 3 conductor, male to male cable. That is what it should be anyway.

Just to double check, make sure the BT speaker connection is an audio out, and not an AUX input.

Also - the battery you are using for the light controller and the lights - there is no common ground with anything in the cart or cart frame I hope - just straight +/- connections to the controller and onto the lights directly.

That said, I'd reiterate my earlier thoughts. Take a look at the diagram attached (apologies - the background was black in my "night mode" display but output as white when saved...)

Disconnect the 1/8" plug from the BT speaker end (but leave it plugged into the controller) and see if there is any continuity between any of the 3 conductors on the end you just unplugged and the 2 power input terminals of the light controller. There shouldn't be.

Alternatively, with the cable still disconnected from the BT speaker, and the controller powered, you could also check to see if there is any DC voltage across the conductors on the end that normally goes into the speaker. There shouldn't be.

If any of this is happening (which it shouldn't really), something like the link below may work by effectively breaking the ground continuity.

https://www.amazon.com/BESIGN-Ground...0675811&sr=8-3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bt spk.jpg (52.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-03-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
Whitaker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't have an answer to your question, sorry but how's the sound from the Club Car soundbar?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
IT_Andy
Not Yet Wild

I'm happy to report that FStop's clearly explained troubleshooting steps helped me to think through the issue logically from head to tail. While the issue isn't fixed, I have a very high probability of what the issue is. Thank you sir, you time is very much appreciated!

Long story short, the issue is that the LED Strip under the cart is shorting out the cart when connected to the soundbar.

Long story:
Scenario 1 (works) BT soundbar connected to controller, roof LED light strip connected to controller, controller connected to 12v cart power (OR external Battery). This scenario works as expected.
Scenario 2 (doesn't work) Same as scenario 1, but with undercart LED light strip connected to controller. This scenario causes the cart to FAULT.
Scenario 3 (works). BT Soundbar disconnected from controller. Both upper and lower LED light strips connected to extneral battery. This scenario works as expected.
Scenario 4 (doesn't work) Same as scenario 3, but controller hooked to cart 12v. This scenario causes the cart to FAULT.

Commonality here is that when the lower LED strip is connected to something grounded on the Cart, the Cart goes into FAULT. Logical conclusion is that the undercart LED strip picking up ground against the cart somewhere.

Probable cause: When I "installed" the LED strip under the golf cart, the included "tape" was not at all sticky, so I stripped it all off. I installed 3m VHB tape to all the areas where I could affix the strip. There were several areas not suitable to tape and I used zip ties around "something" to secure the LED light strip. While troubleshooting this AM, I noticed that every few inches, on the back of the light strip, there were little exposed copper strips. Presumably, where you could cut the strip and solder wires to connect smaller segments of strips to other segments. I am 100% certain that somewhere along the run, one or more of those is coming into contact with the carts common ground.

Total duh moment. That's what I get for doing a crappy install and not doing it right the first time.

So, for now, the undercart LED's are disconnected and we are enjoying LED's "jumping to the beat while we cruise around"

Mr. Whitaker: The soundbar is awesome and in my opinion was worth the price. The sound is well balanced, connects to BT every time without delays or fiddling. I am very satisfied with it. You don't have to crank the volume to get a nice sound. It sounds great in the cart, but you can't really hear it a few feet away.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #7
Whitaker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I'm happy to report that FStop's clearly explained troubleshooting steps helped me to think through the issue logically from head to tail. While the issue isn't fixed, I have a very high probability of what the issue is. Thank you sir, you time is very much appreciated!

Long story short, the issue is that the LED Strip under the cart is shorting out the cart when connected to the soundbar.

Long story:

Scenario 1 (works) BT soundbar connected to controller, roof LED light strip connected to controller, controller connected to 12v cart power (OR external Battery). This scenario works as expected.

Scenario 2 (doesn't work) Same as scenario 1, but with undercart LED light strip connected to controller. This scenario causes the cart to FAULT.

Scenario 3 (works). BT Soundbar disconnected from controller. Both upper and lower LED light strips connected to extneral battery. This scenario works as expected.

Scenario 4 (doesn't work) Same as scenario 3, but controller hooked to cart 12v. This scenario causes the cart to FAULT.

Commonality here is that when the lower LED strip is connected to something grounded on the Cart, the Cart goes into FAULT. Logical conclusion is that the undercart LED strip picking up ground against the cart somewhere.

Probable cause: When I "installed" the LED strip under the golf cart, the included "tape" was not at all sticky, so I stripped it all off. I installed 3m VHB tape to all the areas where I could affix the strip. There were several areas not suitable to tape and I used zip ties around "something" to secure the LED light strip. While troubleshooting this AM, I noticed that every few inches, on the back of the light strip, there were little exposed copper strips. Presumably, where you could cut the strip and solder wires to connect smaller segments of strips to other segments. I am 100% certain that somewhere along the run, one or more of those is coming into contact with the carts common ground.

Total duh moment. That's what I get for doing a crappy install and not doing it right the first time.

So, for now, the undercart LED's are disconnected and we are enjoying LED's "jumping to the beat while we cruise around"

Mr. Whitaker: The soundbar is awesome and in my opinion was worth the price. The sound is well balanced, connects to BT every time without delays or fiddling. I am very satisfied with it. You don't have to crank the volume to get a nice sound. It sounds great in the cart, but you can't really hear it a few feet away.
Thanks, I just bought the cart and saw the CC bluetooth system. It's actually on back order till Oct. Was looking at a few others.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #8
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:

Long story:

Glad you got it sorted out and you're enjoying it all!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car