lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #51
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Exploding batteries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Me three, but I tried it in puddles next to the pumps.

Hey, everyone knows teenagers are bullet-proof - and/or stupid - especially in the south, at a gas station that I didn't care if I blew up.
Tossing a lit cigarette into Liquid gasoline will put it out, however the same is not true of gasoline vapors.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #52
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrcr822 View Post
From what I can tell on the Hydrolink setup I use, the cell cap covers all three cells and vents out of the side of the cap assembly before the fill hose socket. When I get back to work on Monday im going to look at the cap and vent further. I have an old one I can take apart. This is a great thread as I had no idea this could be an issue(multiple explosions due to hose)and no one I have talked to in the industry has mentioned it either,only floats sticking and cells overfilling. Im not a golf cart tech and dont have expirence with other fill systems but I do use Trojan Hydrolink on all my machines.
In the 11 years I been at the Yamaha dealer (now includes several other brands), I have seen lots of batteries with "blown cells", but in that time, I have never seen any that had more than one blown cells that didn't have a fill system. In Those carts that DID have a fill system, most all the lids are blown off all the batteries.

In short, Without fill system = localized to the individual cell, With fill system = all/nearly all blown with whole battery top severely damaged.

Lucky for me, I was sitting on the cart during only 2 of those "incidents", once was only one cell, once every single cell on all 6 batteries. The 6 bombs I was sitting on was Hydrolink, so it's not immune in any way.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #53
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Yikes. I used to smoke while filling up cars at a full service gas station, back when we checked tires, oil, coolant, tranny fluid, brake fluid, washer fluid, battery electrolyte, washed windshield, checked head lights, blinkers and brake lights, etc. I was under the impression that a hot smoldering cigarette needed to actually spark, though gasoline needs the proper air to fuel ratio, so maybe I was just lucky. I'm also under the impression that air/hydrogen has a much wider range of ratios - LDL - than gasoline. As you mentioned, since electrolysis liberated the O2 and H2, the ratio inside a battery cell is the perfect ratio.
The flammability range of hydrogen is quite wide, 4% to 74% hydrogen to air. So it can ignite quite easy.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:06 PM   #54
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
The flammability range of hydrogen is quite wide, 4% to 74% hydrogen to air. So it can ignite quite easy.
And you usually can't see hydrogen burning unless is dark outside. I did a turnaround on a hydrocracker unit once and they said they used to check leaking flanges with a straw broom because if it were on fire it would burn the broom and not you.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #55
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycason View Post
And you usually can't see hydrogen burning unless is dark outside. I did a turnaround on a hydrocracker unit once and they said they used to check leaking flanges with a straw broom because if it were on fire it would burn the broom and not you.
Wasn't that a Wizard of OZ thing?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO