lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
ekgguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Will this work????

I am looking to upgrade the electronics on my 89 resistor cart. I have looked at Scottyb's kit and personally that is the way I want to go, but the rest of the booster organization (history in the build thread) is a little leary about spending almost $2000 for the kit, cables, F&R switch and batteries.

Another member of the booster club might be able to get his hands on a complete set of running gear and electronics from a 2003 EZGO non-PDS (I think) cart.

Has anyone done a swap like this? Is it even possible?

Thanks,
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Will this work????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekgguy View Post
I am looking to upgrade the electronics on my 89 resistor cart. I have looked at Scottyb's kit and personally that is the way I want to go, but the rest of the booster organization (history in the build thread) is a little leary about spending almost $2000 for the kit, cables, F&R switch and batteries.

Another member of the booster club might be able to get his hands on a complete set of running gear and electronics from a 2003 EZGO non-PDS (I think) cart.

Thanks,
As long as you can find a way to mount everything, it should work in a different style body I would think...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

There is no reason that won't work.....as you would only be using your carts body/frame/suspension.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekgguy View Post

Thanks,
The biggest problem area is going to be the throttle and throttle linkage.
The 2003 series cart (Series wound motor) has a Curtis 1206 controller that uses an ITS (Inductive Throttle System) which is located in a box under the floorboard. To get the 2003 speed controller to work in the 89 cart, you will have to figure out how to mount the ITS and how to mechanically connect the pedal linkage to it.

When EZGO re-designed Marathon carts with a ESC (Electronic Speed Control) they used a Curtis 1204 controller which uses a 0-5k potentiometer for a throttle. The pot box is located in roughly the same place that the resistor cart's wiper arm type speed control was located, so the mechanical linkage from the pedal was similar, if not the same up to a point.

The conversion kits replaces the resistor cart's wiper arm assembly with a pot box assembly.

------------
Food for thought:

A few days ago, someone posted this picture of a wiper assembly with fixed (1k) resistors connected between the studs on the wiper assembly. It appears that the resistor cart's existing wiper switch was re-purposed into being a 0-5k throttle in 1k steps and fed to the throttle input of a Curtis 1204 (or similar) controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Five-speed wiper switch.JPG (188.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
shaffer88
Gone Wild

There is two ways to think about this IMO. . . 1) scottyb has the conversion kit that you know is going to work but you pay for it and what you pay for the ease that you know it's made for your cart. 2) that if you can get the other carts parts to work great and you saved money in the process but it will take some time matching up, and if the booster club doesn't want to help pay but would rather offer up parts fine but let's hope they also offer up some hands on help in the process. . Good luck shaffer
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
ekgguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The biggest problem area is going to be the throttle and throttle linkage.

------------
Food for thought:

A few days ago, someone posted this picture of a wiper assembly with fixed (1k) resistors connected between the studs on the wiper assembly. It appears that the resistor cart's existing wiper switch was re-purposed into being a 0-5k throttle in 1k steps and fed to the throttle input of a Curtis 1204 (or similar) controller.
That is what I figured, it would be the throttle linkage and mounting everything that was the issue. Since we are transplanting the entire system, everything else should work.

Food for thought:... I am not even close to being that clever
Old 07-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
ekgguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffer88 View Post
There is two ways to think about this IMO. . . 1) scottyb has the conversion kit that you know is going to work but you pay for it and what you pay for the ease that you know it's made for your cart. 2) that if you can get the other carts parts to work great and you saved money in the process but it will take some time matching up, and if the booster club doesn't want to help pay but would rather offer up parts fine but let's hope they also offer up some hands on help in the process. . Good luck shaffer
Truer words have never been spoken
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO