lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Edd
Not Yet Wild

Default Need to Upgrade;/What to do???

I have a 96 TXT 36v. cart that needs some love. All stock right now but in good shape. I am getting ready to bring it home from camp to go through the unit. It is in need of batteries and has a noise coming from the left rear. I figure this would be a good time to upgrade but I'm not sure how far to go. I am looking for range and torque (speed would also be nice). Some background for use of the cart. I use it at our camp that has a lot of hills, most of the time carrying four adults (about 700lbs.). I want to lift the cart but not sure how high, I'm thinking 6" mainly because I am over six feet tall and feel like I am sitting on the ground when I get in it. I plan to tear the entire unit down and go through everything as I build it back up along with a new color scheme. Background on myself; 25+ years mechanical/electrical experience. I do not however have that much experience with carts and that is why I am posting. Doing the work is not the problem, getting the proper combination is key!

Look forward to suggestions and ideas.
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Need to Upgrade;/What to do???

read posts on upgrades
Old 07-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

I have a 95 txt (medalist) that I converted to 48v's - look through my journal in sig for some insight and ideas.

Welcome!
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Edd
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dela View Post
I have a 95 txt (medalist) that I converted to 48v's - look through my journal in sig for some insight and ideas.

Welcome!
Thanks Dela; I actually have looked over your journal, nice cart. I am thinking 48volt; but wonder what will 72 get me? I have been doing a lot of searching and there are great ideas out there just not many with the details of WHY they chose what they did when it comes to electrical upgrades.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Going to 72 is going to increase your budget more then your use (in my opinion) - 48 is just right for a top notch cart. Can get street legal, should have the tourque you're looking for and can be maintained with standard chargers..

72 is cool - but more for the Big Dogs on here.. my .02

Have fun with it - possibilities are endless!
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
shaffer88
Gone Wild

Your upgrades are up to your budget . I'm 6'3 and my 6in jakes lift is perfect for me to lift my leg and slide in the seat , easy peasy. List of upgrades if you do the 48 v list idea above: batteries, cables, fnr switch , solenoid and controller, you mentioned lift so possibly wheels and tires. The list is just some ideas I just finished myself
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Edd
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffer88 View Post
Your upgrades are up to your budget . I'm 6'3 and my 6in jakes lift is perfect for me to lift my leg and slide in the seat , easy peasy. List of upgrades if you do the 48 v list idea above: batteries, cables, fnr switch , solenoid and controller, you mentioned lift so possibly wheels and tires. The list is just some ideas I just finished myself
Wheels and tires are a definite! I have an idea of how I want it to look. How do you choose what controller to use with all the options?? I know the solenoid has to match the controller. When/how do you decide if a motor upgrade is needed? I don't mind putting the needed $$$ up if the end result suits my needs.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Is it a series (series wound motor) or DCS (sepex motor)?
If it has a Run/Tow switch, it is a DCS.

Scotty at Carts Unlimited has a pretty good overview about things to consider for upgrading a cart.
Here's the webpage: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #9
Edd
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Is it a series (series wound motor) or DCS (sepex motor)?
If it has a Run/Tow switch, it is a DCS.

Scotty at Carts Unlimited has a pretty good overview about things to consider for upgrading a cart.
Here's the webpage: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
Series wound. Thanks for the link!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

With a series wound motor, Voltage = Speed and Amps = Torque.
However, the cart's final drive ratio alters the speed and torque of the motor, so the differential gear ratio (12.44:1 is stock) and tire height (18" is stock) have to be taken into consideration also.

Lifting the cart is more or less neutral, but lifted carts usually have tall tires and increasing tire height alters the final drive ratio, giving the cart greater speed and less torque.
Installing 20" tires will increase cart speed by 10%, but will also reduce the cart's torque by 10%.
With 22" tires the change in is 18%.
To regain the lost torque, more amps have to be passed through the motor.

The stock motor can handle more amps and the stock battery pack (36V - 225AH) can produce more amps, but everything between the battery pack and motor has to be upgraded.

The total motor current passes through all of the Cables (13 high current cables in a series cart), the Solenoid, F/R switch and Controller equally and simultaneously, so all the components in the high current loop have to have at least the same current carrying capability. Basically, the chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

--------
The torque lost by increasing tire height can also be regained by upping the battery pack voltage.
Going to 42V (7 x 6V) will increase torque by 16.7% and going to 48V (8 x 6V or 6 X 8V) will increase it by 33.3%, and some speed will also be gained in either case.

-----------
High speed gears and high speed motors are available as well as high torque gears and high torque motors, but like most everything else, increasing speed decreases torque and vice versa. (The single exception is increasing pack voltage increases both speed and torque)

----------
The trick is to figure out what you want the end product to be and build towards that goal.
From what you've said so far, it will be a lifted cart (taller tires) carrying four people over hilly terrain.
Personally, I would use at least a 500A controller, Super-Duty solenoid (400A continuous - 1000A peak), 2Ga cables and a Heavy Duty F/R switch. And then up the pack voltage to either 42V or 48V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO