lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Charge/Status info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckSavage View Post
Well, using the worst etiquette, I hijacked a thread (my apologies, I'm a dummy) I was trying to learn about chargers, batteries, etc & if my batteries aren't long for this world. JohnnyB asked me a few questions & here's the answers.

Q: What does the voltage read while on charge after the batteries have been on charge overnight?
A: 44.7V, 7.7, 7.3, 7.4, 7.3, 7.4, 7.2 The charger still read 5A, on for 16 hrs.

Q: What does the pack read after 12 hrs from being disconnected from the charger?
A: 38.2V, 6.5, 6.3, 6.3, 6.3, 6.3, 6.3.

This is a 36V TXT, Charger is the basic Textron charger (no LEDS)

Can ya help me out? Why doesn't the charger shut off? Batteries toast? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance

If the charger is not shutting off I suspect these readings are not 12 hours after the charge has ended. And so they may be artificially enhanced.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If the charger is not shutting off I suspect these readings are not 12 hours after the charge has ended. And so they may be artificially enhanced.
OR the charger just hasn't reached the voltage for it to cut off yet. he didn't tell us what the SoC was at when he started the charging process this time, and if the pack was real low, lower than he normally lets it go, it could have taken longer than normal to bring it up to the shut off voltage.....this has happened to me once when the KIDS ran the cart down to 50%, without my knowledge, and it took it nearly 23hrs to get back to shut off voltage.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I think I know her
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
MuckSavage
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You guys crack me up & thanks for the info. The charger is a Power Wise 28115 GO4. Yes, the higher volt battery was new. When I bought the cart, the prev owner dropped one of the batteries carrying it to my truck.
Just to confirm, I let it charge 16 hours, unplugged it, let it rest for 12 hrs & took the readings that I posted. The batteries were "gassing" when I shut down the charger & I checked the water prior to charging. I will print out Johnnyb's support info & follow it. Scotty, I'll be contacting you soon for some accesories.

Thanks all!

Btw. Should I recheck the water levels and continue to charge to see if the charger will shut off?
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Btw. Should I recheck the water levels and continue to charge to see if the charger will shut off?
Add water (distilled only) after they are charged. If plates are exposed, just add enough to cover plates.

When you add water to a partially discharged battery, some will bubble out.

Go ahead and charge some more. The charger just might shut off.

Quick charger check: Plug into AC without plugging into cart. If it hums, the relay has been bypassed and it never will shut off.

Also, while charger is charging (amps showing on ammeter), unplug from cart. It should stop humming. If it doesn't, the control board is bad.

Attached it the manual for a PW 28115 charger
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PW Charger manual.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
MuckSavage
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnyB... Yes & yes. It hums when plugging into 110 AC (not plugged into cart) and still hums when I unplug it from cart while powered up. I'll print the charger o & m. Do you have source for the parts? Thanks
Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

This is the one piece control board that replaces the two piece control board the may be in your charger.
http://www.shopezgo.com/products/Inp...roduct_id=1902

Several of the BGW site sponsors sell them and may have better pricing.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
Old 08-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #18
MuckSavage
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just put it back on charge. Pack at the time was 38.2, I'll report back on what happens. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2013, 04:26 AM   #19
MuckSavage
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just unplugged the charger after being. On for 12 hrs. Charger still read 5A, 44.7V pack while on charge. I guess I'm shopping for a control board, huh?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I just unplugged the charger after being. On for 12 hrs. Charger still read 5A, 44.7V pack while on charge. I guess I'm shopping for a control board, huh?
Yes, if you want the charger to shut off automatically.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO