lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
tculpepper
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 48V to a 36V motor

So I was going through a recent thread and saw ScottyB mention putting 48V to a 36V motor. My question is, how long can the motor stand up to this? Will it eventually burn it up? Will it be able to handle the extra voltage? Anybody with knowledge of this or someone who has done it please chime in. I'd be interested to see the outcome of it if its mechanically safe to do. Might have to add it to my ever growing list of things to do to mine!
tculpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 48V to a 36V motor

This upgrade is perfectly safe for your 36 volt DC motor. I have been running this mod for many years. Overvolting a DC motor is the easiest way to increase power AND speed, within reason of course. The stock controller is probably rated at 36v however and it will not tolerate 48v very long at all. Perhaps only a few microseconds. The solenoid will survive for a while, but not too long either as it is also voltage specific. Do some more reading and you will learn the proper way to increase your buggy performance.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
tculpepper
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm running a resistor cart right now. As funds become available, I would like to buy a conversion kit to swap over to modern technology. My next thing is an HD FR switch. Any upgrades will be able to handle swapping over to 48V. If I do swap, it will be when my current batteries take the plunge. Hopefully that will be a while. I just like planning and throwing around ideas.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

One customer, having upgraded his 36v cart to my 48v system, said he's not replacing his stock motor until it starts to fail.... Talked to him recently and it has been 4 seasons and counting so far...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I myself have run 72v on a stock 36v motor and 26" tires. White I don't recommend it the motor did live. It had a tendousy to run hot so unless you were mindful of that it would eventually burn up. Running 48v is easy and won't normally poise a problem.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

I took Scottyb's advice and put 48 volts to my 36 volt motor on my buil and in the 5 years that it has been running, not one lick of trouble from it. Except when I forgot to chare the batteries up, but the motor still lives strong. Thanks again scottyb.
Rodger's Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
tculpepper
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

After reading the comments, I think when my batteries die, I'll be swapping to 48V. Thanks guys!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

My upgrades (including 48v) made a "night to day" difference in the performance of my buggy!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
Groundedbigbody
Not Yet Wild

What all needs to be changed on a series cart 36v to 48v I assume controller and solenoid and f&r switch to more heavy duty one correct
Groundedbigbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundedbigbody View Post
What all needs to be changed on a series cart 36v to 48v I assume controller and solenoid and f&r switch to more heavy duty one correct
The "correct" way is to upgrade the controller, solenoid (including a new diode and a new resistor), batteries, charger, f/r switch, and cables.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO