lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrading batteries

I'm already running 48 volts but with eight 6 volt batteries ( US 1800's) , so what you're saying is I should have about the same run time if I switch to six 8 volt Trojans?
stellix is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Runtime is a function of voltage and Amp Hours. Since (6 * and (8 * 6) are roughly the same it's purely a function of the AH ratings of the batteries you are comparing. The other issue is weight of the batteries. (And cost)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A six volt battery will in most cases will always have a greater amp/hr capacity then a 8 volt , the main question is how much run time do you want ?
To get max. Run time , the only way is go with 8-6 volt with a large amp/hr rating
To just maintain your existing run time - you can go to a max amp/ hr -8 volt battery set up (6-8 volt )
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Will 6 Trojan t-875 give me more or less than I have now with the eight 6 volts?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #15
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You will have to look up on chart , compare amp/hr capacity and weight
Use search button on top of page
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellix View Post
I'm already running 48 volts but with eight 6 volt batteries ( US 1800's) , so what you're saying is I should have about the same run time if I switch to six 8 volt Trojans?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellix View Post
Will 6 Trojan t-875 give me more or less than I have now with the eight 6 volts?
NO!!!!!!
I overlooked the fact you are already at 48V using eight 6v batteries and the percent increase numbers I posted were based on you having a 36V pack made up of Six 208AH 6V batteries.

A 48V pack using six T-875 (8V-170AH) batteries will have about 22% LESS run-time that a 48V pack using eight US 1800 (6V-208AH) batteries.

Even the Trojan Ranger 160 (8V-204AH) will have about 2% less run-time than than what you are now running, when they were in good condition.

Bottom line: You will lose run-time going from Eight 208AH-6V batteries to any Six 8V Golf Cart Batteries on the market that I am aware of.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #17
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks. I guess I'll keep the ones I have , they are only a little over a year old. I repaired the two melted posts and it seems to be working good. I'll just have to keep an eye on them to make sure they stay tight.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I just made my first trip since I installed my PQ Bandit. I'm not sure if my batteries are going bad or if this motor just uses way more power. I only made a 3 mile trip and I was below 50% . I checked pack voltage before I left and it was 51.5 . It's not any faster with this motor than my stock motor was
Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Not sure if you have a series or sepex motor, but a more powerful motor uses more power from the battery pack.

I got more torque, but no more speed when I went from a stock 2.5HP to a 11.8Hp motor and I lost a little estimated range (run-time), however it was from 35.7 Miles (Dropped to 86% in 10.0 miles) down to 34.4 Miles (dropped to 82% in 12.4 Miles). Of course my pack is made up of seven 245AH 6V batteries (42V) and I run stock height (18.3") tires.

If you are dropping to 50% in 3 miles, those must be some mighty tall tires or sick batteries.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm only running 20" tires. It takes off pretty strong but in the first 1/4 mile there was a little hill for a couple hundred yards and it slowed down a good bit. The bar type SOC meter dropped one bar in the first 1/4 mile. I tested the voltage of the batteries and they were all 6.3 and one was 6.2 the pack voltage was 50.3 but the meter was showing about 40%. Could the batteries be dropping under load but the voltage go back up without a load?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO