lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
jonequest
Gone Wild

Default HD springs still bottom out

I upgraded my EZGO springs to HD ones a bout 1.5 years ago when I was adding my rear seat but to be honest they don't feel heavy duty at all. A kid can stand on my rear seat footrest and bounce my cart up and down and side to side. I also rub tires when taking hard turns in fields with people on the back. Are there other HD springs I can get. My friend just bought an already lifted EZGO and his springs are rock hard compared to mine.
jonequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2014, 02:13 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: HD springs still bottom out

there is a few things you can do, what year cart? what size tire do you have, do you have a lift? how many leafs are the " HD " springs?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
MuckSavage
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have this problem too. (No rubbing during turns though) Diasassemble your old spring pack and add the leafs to your current spring pack. (Including a full length leaf under the main leaf.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How many leafs are in your HD springs and how thick are each? You can just measure the top leaf as it's easiest. Report back with findings. You may have been sold medium duty springs (or worse).
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

I have the stock TXT springs and tires with a rear seat. I went to Lowes and bought a piece of 1/4" x 1 1/2" flat steel and made new rear shackles 2" longer than stock and it helped the rear end sag. No changes to anything else was necessary including the shocks.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
jonequest
Gone Wild

I just figured it out. I got screwed and was sold standard EZGO springs. I just found the part #13024 and Googled the number. The set on my cart when I got it had one badly bent and they were both sagging. When I replaced them it was a nice difference compared to what I had so I didn't realize and didn't think much about it since the rear seat was put on months later but I always noticed that it would give under the weight. I paid about $35.00 each if I remember right. I thought about added some steel from Lowes/Home Depot but it won't be spring steel. Looks like I need to buy some REAL HD Springs.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
jonequest
Gone Wild

I have already been looking and some sellers like Golf Cart King say they have HD 3 leaf springs that allow reusing the old u bolts. Is there such a thing as 3 leaf springs that are as stiff as 4 leaf springs? The pair is ~$90 shipped and come with bushings so I am tempted because I won't needs to buy U-bolts but I want to REAL sure before I order this time. I called and spoke to someone and he swears that these are rated for the same weight as the 4 leaf but 3 leaf for an easier install. I also think that my U-bolts are long enough for a 4 leaf from the looks of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (90.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (114.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonequest View Post
I have already been looking and some sellers like Golf Cart King say they have HD 3 leaf springs that allow reusing the old u bolts. Is there such a thing as 3 leaf springs that are as stiff as 4 leaf springs? The pair is ~$90 shipped and come with bushings so I am tempted because I won't needs to buy U-bolts but I want to REAL sure before I order this time. I called and spoke to someone and he swears that these are rated for the same weight as the 4 leaf but 3 leaf for an easier install. I also think that my U-bolts are long enough for a 4 leaf from the looks of them.
I got those same 3 leaf HD springs. They work fine. In fact, when I first drove the cart, I thought they were too stiff. After a while I got used to them. Easy to install with the original U bolts. No bottoming out even with 4 large people on the cart. When cornering there is no lean like I had with the original springs. On a side note, the new springs raised the rear of the cart about 1.5 inches.

Dave
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olman View Post
I got those same 3 leaf HD springs. They work fine. In fact, when I first drove the cart, I thought they were too stiff. After a while I got used to them. Easy to install with the original U bolts. No bottoming out even with 4 large people on the cart. When cornering there is no lean like I had with the original springs. On a side note, the new springs raised the rear of the cart about 1.5 inches.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I am ordering them now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO