lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
snake91876
Getting Wild

Default Does a bigger amp controller drain batterys quicker

Will I use my batterys quicker going from a 300 amp alltrax to a 400 amp. I have a series cart with 48v on 36v motor. I have 25" tires and its weak on hills. Will this controller change be noticable or should I go up to 500amp.
snake91876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Does a bigger amp controller drain batterys quicker

I think with that big a tire you oughta be going to 500 amp and 2 gauge cables. the way I understand it is, battery drain is mostly related to how hard you drive it. the harder you push the pedal the faster it goes dead.
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
snake91876
Getting Wild

Can u go up hills good with yours, I come to a crawl on steep hills in the neighborhood and when offroading there's little small hills with me my wife and two kids it won't go up them.
snake91876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

you need a 500amp min with 25's. im running a 700amp and don't have a problem if I plug in every night. of course its just like a car with a V8 how you drive controls your gas mileage.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Is it a Series motor or Sepex?

When the 25" tires were installed, 30% of the torque was lost and when the pack voltage was raised from 36V to 48V, there was 33% torque gain, so with a 300A controller, you essentially have a the hill climbing ability of a stock cart, or less, depending on what the 48V pack consists of.

As for a higher ampacity controller draining the batteries quicker, yes they can, but cruising down the road or across a field, the motor will draw about the same number of amps no matter how many amps the controller is rated for.

The difference between a 300A controller and a 500A controller is how fast the cart accelerates from a standstill, but that difference only lasts for the first 20 or 30 feet or so, since once the motor is spinning above a certain RPM, it cannot draw as many amps as the controller can pass to it.

There is a difference in how much the cart slows down going up steep hills also, but the motor's RPM has to drop considerably for the motor to be able to draw the max amps the controller is limited to.

Bottom Line: With those 25" tires, you probably need a high-torque motor and a 500A controller as well as a battery pack capable of delivering the Amps needed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO