lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Motor cables

Okay here we go again. My 04 PDS has 48 volt, 2 gauge cables a DCX 500 amp controller, stock motor and 25" tires. The tires are recently installed and since then I have dropped torque ( duh). I just realized this weekend that my cables from motor are still 4 gauge. I know I should run 2 gauge to the motor but how critical is that going to be? I think I will be needing to do a torque motor or gears because this weekend under I got stuck a few times and could smell an electric smell when pushing it hard. All connections tight and didn't really keep it throttled under stall situations. But can tell the tires are killing it.
Thoughts?
jhnmflr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor cables

its critical.....all of your high current cables should be the same size (2 ga.) otherwise its creating a bottle neck.....the smaller cables won't allow to current to flow as it should, AND will start to heat up.....and HEAT is BAD !!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your 4awg motor cables will be fine unless they are damaged or corroded. Most dealers suggest 4awg for a golf cart with aftermarket controller. Your 2awg upgraded battery cables exceed this recommendation but you won't get the extra benefit of the larger size with the stock 4awg motor cables are upgraded also.

Take a good long drive and check the temp of the 4awg cables, there should be no heat or warmth in them at all.

25" tires and stock motor is a pretty bad combination IMO. Overvolting your 36v motor with 48v is also going to make it run hotter then heck at times, depending on speed. Slower isn't better then fast either as the motor is designed to be run at least 80% throttle sustained. Extended slow riding can and will make a very hot motor. You have to watch motor temp until you can get an aftermarket motor or you can kill it fast.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
its critical.....all of your high current cables should be the same size (2 ga.) otherwise its creating a bottle neck.....the smaller cables won't allow to current to flow as it should, AND will start to heat up.....and HEAT is BAD !!
Great Point. Last year I replaced the cables on my Yamaha G8 to 2 AWG on the batteries and installed a Alltrax NPX. I did not change the cables on the stock motor. Just in the last two weeks I put on 22" tires and a All Sports 7" lift. The cart runs fine but I would like more top in speed. I have not tested it though.

My question is: Will I see any change at all by going to 2AWG cables on the motor. What can I do to get more speed? If I change motors then which one is recommended for more speed w/o changing my Alltrax NPX.

Thanks,
Moe
moesdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnmflr View Post
Okay here we go again. My 04 PDS has 48 volt, 2 gauge cables a DCX 500 amp controller, stock motor and 25" tires. The tires are recently installed and since then I have dropped torque ( duh). I just realized this weekend that my cables from motor are still 4 gauge. I know I should run 2 gauge to the motor but how critical is that going to be? I think I will be needing to do a torque motor or gears because this weekend under I got stuck a few times and could smell an electric smell when pushing it hard. All connections tight and didn't really keep it throttled under stall situations. But can tell the tires are killing it.
Thoughts?
As mentioned all 10 High current cables ought to be the same gauge.

A DCX500 is a bit much for a stock PDS motor. Might be a good idea to back it off to about 400A until you get an aftermarket that can handle the wattage.

25" tires are also a bit much for a stock PDS motor. Probable need a high torque motor to turn them.

As also mentioned, anything getting the least bit warm, other than the motor, is undersized for the application. (The motor is going to get hot, that is normal, but the max case temperature for a motor with Class-H insulation is 115°C and if it is the motor you are smelling, it is probably exceeding that.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
As mentioned all 10 High current cables ought to be the same gauge.

A DCX500 is a bit much for a stock PDS motor. Might be a good idea to back it off to about 400A until you get an aftermarket that can handle the wattage.

25" tires are also a bit much for a stock PDS motor. Probable need a high torque motor to turn them.

As also mentioned, anything getting the least bit warm, other than the motor, is undersized for the application. (The motor is going to get hot, that is normal, but the max case temperature for a motor with Class-H insulation is 115°C and if it is the motor you are smelling, it is probably exceeding that.)
Johnnie-

Which motor do you think I should buy for my set up as described in this thread?
moesdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by moesdeals View Post
Johnnie-

Which motor do you think I should buy for my set up as described in this thread?
I don't know much about Yamaha's, I'm pretty sure you can to get more speed by upping the pack voltage, or installing a high speed motor, or installing a numerically lower gear ratio in the differential.

Best bet about the motor would be talk to Vic or Eric at D&D.
The motor I have gives me 28.5 MPH at 6,500 RPM on 18.3" tires, but I don't think a NPX300 would spin it that fast.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So you think I can clean it up and it will work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1400967191861.jpg (325.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You can test the motor after after high torque run with a wet finger. If it sizzles, it's too hot. Also, did you upgrade the FNR, assuming you have one that isn't dash mounted?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think I would have taken off skin, already talking to Scotty about a little upgrade !
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO