lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
Herby D
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Desulfator ?

Like everyone else, I'm always looking for ways to make my batteries last longer and I was just reading about a BatteryMINDer Desulfator..I don't remember ever seeing info about them here..Do these things work ?
Herby D is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Desulfator ?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/desig...aver-test.html
Old 05-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
Herby D
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
Thanks..Great info..
Herby D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I also tested a set of 8v batts (48v total) from a fleet cart. When i started, the pack would only run 44 mins on lester discharge machine. I cycled (charge-discharge-charge) the batts lots of times (15-20). Discharge times increased with each test, then started to level out. In the end, the results increased to over 70 minutes. These batteries were from a course cart, and had set mostly unused for awhile on our lot, so some of the increase may have been attributable to "exercising lazy batteries". Overall, a set of batteries that fell into the "failing" catagory (less than 60 min discharge score), were restored into the "passing" catagory. Having a way to prevent excessive discharge over time is a problem they seem to have addressed with low voltage cut-off. Overall, i was skeptical at first, but, i think it is "the real deal", it works.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A BLS-42B might find its way into my cart.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have a Save-A-Battery pulse charger/maintainer/desulfator and it seems to work great. It doesn't use pack voltage to operate so I leave it plugged in 24/7 if the cart is not rolling. I haven't had to add water to the pack since I installed it.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I did some research on the Battery Life Saver (BLS) device and liked what I found enough to buy one.

The way it works is fairly straightforward. When subjected to its resonate frequency, the latticework of a lead sulfate crystal will disintegrate, allowing the lead and sulfate ions to return to lead (Negative Plate), lead dioxide (Positive plate) and sulfuric acid (Electrolyte), but lead sulfate crystals grow in different shapes and sizes, so they have different resonate frequencies.

There are various devices on the market that use resonate frequencies to breakdown lead sulfate crystals, but BLS came up with a way to broadband the signal injected into the battery and go after all sizes and shapes, and patented the concept.

A square wave contains all the frequencies above its base frequency and the lowest resonate frequency of lead sulfate crystals typically found in Lead-Acid batteries is 10kHz, so they superimpose a square wave approximately equal to the battery voltage on top of the battery voltage that is in the 3kHz to 9kHz range.

Attached is a schematic of the BLS device from their patent, and a copy of their patent.

-------------
My plan is to get some up-to-date range (Run-time) estimates since my battery pack has been on float charge for the winter, install the BLS and then do more range estimates, tracking the changes, if any.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLS schematic.jpg (52.0 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US7374839B2.pdf (91.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Which model did you buy? I see several 48 volt BLSs. Is yours battery powered or AC?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Which model did you buy? I see several 48 volt BLSs. Is yours battery powered or AC?
I ordered a BLS-42B, but they subbed a BLS-42N because the "B" version isn't made any more. (I was given the option of cancelling the order if the "N" model wasn't acceptable).

The difference is that the N model has a low voltage cutoff so it won't drain the batteries below about 90% SoC, which makes it pack voltage specific.

The 42V "B" model without the low voltage cutoff could have also been used on a 36V pack and I was originally planning to do some testing on the 36V pack that was in my cart when I acquired it. (6 x T-105 - L9 date code) They have been float charging since I installed the 42V pack and I want to see if I could liven them up some.

I'm still going to install a switch in one of the leads to disconnect it while running range estimate tests.

The BLS system is powered from the battery pack. There are other systems out there that are AC powered (IE: Save-A-Battery), but don't use the sub-10kHz square wave, and may or may not be as effective.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Thanks. I may try up buying one too. Cutoff switch sounds good, even though it has a low voltage cutoff. It's a little pricey but so are eight batteries.

I'm running out of room for switches on my dash.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO