lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
TXST8tj
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Smell from under seat after driving a bit

I drove the cart around really for the first real drive tonight. We have taken it up and down the street as I have been working on it, but had to wait until it was street legal to really get a good drive in.

During the ride, a couple miles into it, I started to smell kind of a burning smell.
I stopped and lifted the seat and it definitely seemed to come from there.

I am currently running an all stock 1999 TXT 36v series setup on 23" tires.

Was I smelling the controller or something else burning up??

I have the pkg484 from Scottyb (Upgraded controller and such) as well as the upgraded f/r thing. I am going to install them as soon as I have the chance, so if it is the stock controller just not handling the larger tires, I guess it's good I have the new stuff already.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Smell from under seat after driving a bit

I have a 1998 TXT series and I fried two solenoids on stock controller and tires. With bigger tires, you'll definitely find the weakest link on your cart.

You may want to check the cable ends, and make sure they're all clean and tight, on ALL connections to FNR, solenoid, controller, motor, and batteries.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Also might want to tighten the center nut on the FNR just a tad. As tight as it will go and still operate without force.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Also might want to tighten the center nut on the FNR just a tad. As tight as it will go and still operate without force.
Run this nut down to the end of the threads & no more. Better it is hard to shift than burning the contacts, which I suspect.

Hopefully you bought the HD F&R with the upgrade package
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I would look to install your upgrades as soon as you can. Chances are pretty good that what your smelling is the F\R wire covering melting because the factory F\R switch is not up to snuff with the larger tires you have now installed.

And.....not to spend your $$$$ but if you purchased Scotty's HD F\R switch cam for $59....you may want to PM him and ask him if you could trade that or swap it out on either the whole floor mount board & cam (all HD) for $169, or (IMHO the best replacement to these F\R TXT switches ever made) for $185 is the "Reversing Contactor". I purchased his "Super Duty" Reversing Contactor for my hunting cart and frankly, have never looked back. No more wrist breaking lever....and the best part....no more wire burning smells or voltage sucking up of overheated wiring!!! The best $229 plus shipping I've ever spent. (I'm not kidding)

Just food for thought.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
TXST8tj
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the input guys.

Dave, I actually did get the reversing contactor from Scottyb. I couldn't remember what it was called....just knew it had something to do with the f/r and he said it was the better option for only a slight amount more.

I will be placing another order with him soon for the disc brake conversion and digital state of charge meter.
My brakes pretty much don't work with these tires.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO