lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
Ironman78
Not Yet Wild

Default CarryAll-I 1992 tops out at 12mph

CarryAll-I 1992-gas-Kawasaki-FE290, originally would not start in cold weather, near freezing in NH. Took very long time from cold start, then runs fine up to 12-13 mph, then hesitates & maxes out.
Replaced plug, cleaned carb, improved speed about 10%.
Starting fluid had almost no change, except backfire while trying to start.
Colleague suggested water (ice) in float chamber. Likely since repair was done w 50-60 deg temps & cart started & ran easily up to 12-13mph.
Carb is coated w black soot-carbon, repair shop suggested valve problems, but valve trouble would be seen at all speeds, not just at high throttle position.
Cart operates well from start up to gas pedal half or slightly more to the floor.
Then it "chokes" & speed maxes at about 13mph. Wonder if governor or rpm limiter is bad. But really points to high-speed carb jet-port not clear. ?
Cleaning carb, I felt air coming through main center jet, but no daylight was seen. Suggested i insert thin wire thru the port to be sure to clear all debris.
Dark soot is not cleaned w carb cleaner. What will clean soot but not damage parts. ? Thanks.
Ironman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Ironman78
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: CarryAll-I 1992 tops out at 12mph

Also- Shop showed me label on new Kawasaki engine with Spec # which IDs the carb and other info. Where is this label on tne engine?
And how do I ID the carburetor make & model to get parts, gaskets, etc ?
Old 11-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

My cart doesn't have the same motor as yours (my cart has the pre-1992 flathead motor and no rev limiter), but whenever I see guys with FE290s having an issue like yours, it usually seems related to the rev limiter. I think if you disconnect it you may see your issue disappear. If you do a keyword search you'll probably come across several threads telling how to disconnect the rev limiter.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Ironman78
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I think I read there is a brown wire that grounds the rpm limiter, and if the ground is removed, the limiter will be disabled, an easy test.
I will try to find a photo or diagram that shows where the limiter is located.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

The rev limiter is located on the lower front of the engine, just above the front oil drain plug. (#22 in the pic)
Remove the left mounting bolt to the limiter, (12mm socket) remove the eyelet from the bolt and tape it up to prevent grounding,
letting the ground wire just hang, and re-install the limiter mounting bolt.

I'm curious though... could you describe the "choking" at full throttle a little better?

Does it cough, spit and sputter? (common for an intake air leak... too much air to fuel mix)
or... does it seem like the engine shuts down, starts back up, shuts down and starts back up?
(the engine is over-reving and the rev limiter is doing it's job!)
or... does it speed up, then slightly slow down and level off? (normal governor operation)

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
TJL
Gone Wild
Club Car

Have you zip tied the "governor" spring on the axle? My 96 carryall 1 was so slow and barely got out of its own way without the zip ties. Now it's much better, does about 22mph before the engine kill kicks in.

I also put in a driven clutch spring and pre-loaded it, it's a whole different cart now. Went from just sitting and not revving in sand(not "stuck" because it couldn't even spin the tires to get stuck), now I run all over in the sand easily.
TJL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1992, carryall-i, fe290, gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car