lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
zingerbateman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Surging at lower speed?

So, since my cart is done, I've noticed that it'll take off like a rocket (CPP HD spring/belt) but if I try to just cruise it'll keep surging. Floor it and it runs great. Have ziptied the gov a little bit and can get up to 18-19mph without hitting limiter. It has non ethanol fuel in it with seafoam to help clean out any gunk. My next plan of attack is to clean the carb again and see if that'll help. Just wondering if there's something else I could do? Hubby said to buy a new fuel pump but I don't think that is the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks. Oh, took it to a shoot last weekend and had a blast!
zingerbateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Surging at lower speed?

Club cars run best on 87 octane
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Just thinking out loud...

Non-ethanol fuel won't make it surge, but Joe's right, the FE engines are designed for 87 octane.
(and that's why I use Seafoam in all of my small engine fuels!)

Too much Seafoam won't make it surge, it's more of a sputter... (it's an obvious distinction).

Keeping the carb clean is always a good thing, but you just did it not too long ago.

A weak fuel pump won't make it surge, it just runs the engine out of fuel and stalls.

Not having the intake/air box connected WILL make it surge, but knowing you? I'd bet that everything is intact!

Which leaves me with a question...

What are you considering "cruising speed"? 5 MPH? or 13 MPH?
5 MPH shouldn't surge... it should be slow and constant.
11 to 14 MPH however... WILL surge! The ground speed governor is still doing it's job with the loosely tied Zip!
My fix for that? ... go slower, or go faster!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:37 AM   #4
zingerbateman
Gone Wild

Club Car

The non ethanol fuel pump said it was 87 octane so good there. I知 running sea foam in it just for good measure. I知 going to remove the zip tie to take that out of the equation. I have a brand new cheap carb that I had bought just for the gaskets so my next plan is to try that while I reclean the original carb. That should give me some more answers. I can稚 run it wide open at the shoots for obvious reasons so a 5-10mph cruise is what I need. Thanks Don for the reply and I知 afraid that if all else fails, I may have have to investigate the air box for any cracks as that was something that,while looking fully intake may be the culprit?
Old 05-29-2018, 06:17 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

The intake system is crucial with a stock FE engine, it needs to be intact and sealed for a proper air/fuel mixture.
When I first got my cart, I "modified" my air box by cutting a hole in the bottom of it figuring "the more air flow, the better!"
Sheesh... was I wrong! It surged at all speeds!

Check to make sure the air filter is seated properly, the air box cover is tight and clipped, hose clamps are snug and fitted properly, and check the intake hose for cracks.
and last but not least... the carb and gaskets are snug and sealing.

Pretty simple test...
Run it in maintenance mode, and spray carb cleaner all over the airbox... hose... and carb,
(some prefer Ether... but to me? it's too flammable and may create a flash fire from the spark plug.)
if the RPM's change while spraying any of those, you've found an air leak!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
zingerbateman
Gone Wild

Club Car

thanks I'll try that!
Old 05-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

A propane torch also works good for pinpointing intake leaks if you have one. Don't light it and let the propane come out. The engine will run speed up if it sucks in the propane.
BuggieMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
barneyz71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Back the zip ties off a bit. I had similar issues when I took the spring out of the spring.
barneyz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #9
zingerbateman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Removed zip tie and that seems to have helped a lot. So top speed is only 15-16 which is still ok. The machined clutch and belt still gets me up the hill without losing hardly any speed so I think I値l leave it until after state shoot this coming week. I値l have 10 days running around to determine if the body comes off to inspect air box. I hate to admit that while body was off I did notice the hinge side of air box did have one broken hinge but it sealed real tight and never thought it would be a problem....(as PCC would say, hanging head in shame)

Last (we値l at least for now) accessory is my suregrip gun rack and it should be here Tuesday.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:35 AM   #10
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sounds like the throttle is not closing all the way off and when you depress the accelerator the motor is starting out at part throttle. May be as simple as cable adjustment to insure throttle. When you zip tied the governor you may have opened the throttle some. You can still zip tie the gov. but make sure throttle is still closing all the way.
oncearacer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car