lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
TX_Paladin
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G29 Drive Stuttering

About a month ago, I noticed that my 2012 Drive was hesitating and lurching when accelerating from a complete stop. Additionally, it exhibited some stuttering and shaking when rolling to a stop. My first thought was batteries, so I charged the barely two year old Trojan batteries for 48 hours and then took the cart out to see if the issue was resolved. It was not. The digital gauge read 50.9 after a couple hours rest, but when I started out of the garage, the problems seemed to be worse. I tried to reset it using the tow/run switch, but that didn't seem to help.

Decided to live with it. Loaded the wife and kids and headed out about 1/2 mile to see the grandparent. The cart was way under powered when driving on flat ground and eventually died before completing the trip. Got it running again, but now it was shaking, stuttering and lurching all over the place. When I got it home, I parked it. Spoke to my local dealer, who suggested checking the batteries with a meter, as well as the speed sensor. Batteries were all showing 8.4 and 50.9 for the series (same as the gauge). Pulled the speed sensor as well, but the same problems persisted.

My thought would certainly move to the motor (the brushes in particular), but I'm of the mindset that if I pull it, then I'm replacing it with something more robust. Is there an upgrade recommendation that will work with the stock controller? Should I bite the bullet and do a controller upgrade while I'm at it? The cart does have a 6" Jake's lift, rear seat and 22" tires, so maybe I should consider this a sign that I should make the proper mechanical upgrades. Any thoughts?
TX_Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2018, 05:37 AM   #2
Freckles
Gone Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G29 Drive Stuttering

I can't tell you whats wrong with your cart but i can tell you i put plowmans riot kit in my g29 and it rips!
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

You’ve probably already checked this, but are your brakes stuck?

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
TX_Paladin
Not Yet Wild

I haven't checked the brakes specifically, but they didn't seem to provide any resistance when turning the key on and checking the speed sensor for roll away beeping. The controller and solenoid seem to be acting normally as far as clicks and beeps, but nothing else appears right. Sometimes, I can push the accelerator to the floor and get no response other than the faint hum of electricity. I can let off and slowly press down again, and it might hesitate a second or two before lurching forward with some shaking and stuttering. Under load, the digital meter is about mid-47, and it pops right back up to the mid-50s, so the batteries don't appear to be the problem. Plan to keep it for a while. The kids are only going to get bigger (5 and 7), so might as well beef it up.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Check motor brushes.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #6
TX_Paladin
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I should probably look there. However, as mentioned above, if I'm going to pull the motor, then I might as well replace it. Clearly this Hitachi is not meant to carry a rear seat and four adults on 22" tires, so brushes, though inexpensive, are not money well spent. Time to upgrade. This Riot Kit sounds intriguing...
Old 07-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
LPnTX
Gone Wild

get the riot kit
LPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:08 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

LOL, Bye!

Message was for a spammer that has been booted...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #9
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Cya...

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:09 AM   #10
Croqezgo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have seen the same problem. Solenoid, bad battery in the pack, brushes... I defer to cgtech always but solenoid has been the culprit before and is easy to fix. Brushes are also easy (if you don't count the whole getting the motor off and on thing). Motor is easy once you take the rear body off
Croqezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha