lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
mattrourke
Getting Wild

Default Yamaha G16 lost spark

Hey guys,

So since I've rebuilt and built up my cart I have never taken it for more than a 15 minute ride. Today I loaned it to a couple guys for a round of golf. They made it about 10-12 holes with no issues other than running a bit rich which i thought may happen with cheap aftermarket carb (still can't manage to get the stock carb working). Then it started to run for a few seconds and quit and sometimes wouldn't start at all. So we pushed it on the trailer and I got it back to my shop. Ran great around the block a couple times and got it in the shop and then it didn't want to start. I pulled the plug and cleaned it up (it wasnt bad as it was brand new a month ago). When i held it against a bolt on the block I would only occasionally get a spark and didn't seem to be a very hot one. I put the plug back in and again it would only start occasionally and only run for a few seconds and then die.

I was reading around and see some info on g9s with ignition coil issues and other electric problems on various models. What should i be checking/replacing first?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
mattrourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G16 lost spark

It sounds like the coil/TCI unit is bad. Yamaha OEM part is the way to go. Aftermarket is junk. Search for the best price. It's usually partzilla...

JN6-85640-00-00 T.C.I. UNIT ASSY
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
mattrourke
Getting Wild

Thank you.

Ordered one up, as well as new spark plug boot and a new voltage regulator because mine looks very corroded and rough. We will see how it goes.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
mattrourke
Getting Wild

I went to start it today and it ran perfectly so I'm even more confident that it is caused by something that gets hot after running for s few hours.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrourke View Post
I went to start it today and it ran perfectly so I'm even more confident that it is caused by something that gets hot after running for s few hours.

Get an inline spark tester. It'll let you know if/when you lose spark.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:38 AM   #6
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrourke View Post

It is exactly a symptom of a bad TCI! Did you install your new one?
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
mattrourke
Getting Wild

Not yet. Ordered the parts on Friday. Likely won't see them until the end of this week. I will update the thread once I've installed.

Thanks!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha