lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
Tiff2020
Not Yet Wild

Default G-29 Speed Code or High Speed Motor?

Last year we purchased a 2015 Yamaha G-29 48 volt battery DC golf cart for our daughter to drive around our neighborhood. It has a stock motor and controller, 14” wheels, and has been modified to add headlights, taillights, and turn signals. At the time, we liked that the cart only went 12-13 mph because our daughter was 13 and new to driving a golf cart. Now that we are more comfortable with her driving ability we would like to speed up the cart to a max of 20 mph, but really anything 17 mph or above would be acceptable.

From this forum I learned about the speed code and found a few dealers around us that can do this. Two quoted $100. A third quoted $80 to speed up to 17 mph or $210 to speed up to 19 mph. I don’t really understand the difference in that last dealer and the other two on pricing, and if they are doing something different from the others at that higher price?

One of the two dealers who quoted the speed code at $100 said he didn’t really recommend it because the difference in speed is negligible and said it may make a 3 mph difference. He said that a high speed motor can be purchased for $650 or so, and that would get the cart’s speed up to about 20 mph. He said he recommended upgrading the motor over the controller, though I have seen a lot of talk here about doing the opposite.

My husband and I are pretty lost on the best way to go. I’ve read here that the stock motors are not great and will die, but I’m not sure if that’s only when you start adding modifications? If the motor will most likely die within a year or two of adjusting the speed code, then it may make sense to go with the high speed motor. But then again I don’t want to spend ~$650 on that and within a year or two end up having to replace the stock controller, solenoids, and whatever else because they do not function well with the new motor.

Any guidance or advice you can give on the best way to go would be very much appreciated. We are not super mechanical and have very little down time, so are looking for a local shop to do the work for us. We live in the Northeast Atlanta suburbs, and have spoken to dealers in the Northwest suburbs on one in SC that’s about the same time distance away. If you have any recommendations for who to use that would be great too. Thanks so much!
Tiff2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G-29 Speed Code or High Speed Motor?

14" wheels & street tires will get you around 21 mph with the speed code. The cheaper guys are just charging you $100 to turn it up as much as they can without buying the code from yamaha (they arent offering much value at all for your dollar). They should be charging you 1/2 hour labor max, to do that "lower cost" speed up. I would charge you 1/2 hour labor, as that's the lowest billable amount I can charge to do that 7 minute job. (Bring out programmer, connect optical transmitter, log into cart, read mode, slide selector all the way right, save mode, verify save was accepted, disconnect transmitter, put away tools). The reason the other option is more expensive, is that the other option involves all the prior steps, and ordering a unique code from yamaha that costs money, and I charge $150 for the real PTV code job.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #3
Tiff2020
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so much cgtech! That definitely helps explain the price difference between the speed code options.

Any thoughts on whether we should go that route (official speed code from Yamaha) vs. a high-speed motor if we truly only want a top speed of 17-20 mph?
Old 06-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Just get the speed code, or "the cheap option" if you dont care if it meets 20mph. But, if you go "the cheap option", let them know that you understand it's an adjustment that costs them nothing but labor.

I been PTV certified by yamaha since 2007, and updated my PTV training as recent as last year.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #5
Tiff2020
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so much! That’s super helpful!

We were leaning towards the official code from Yamaha option, and it’s good to know that would be a good option for our needs. I was surprised by how few of the Yamaha dealers in and around metro Atlanta actually offered the service.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha