lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
jayhrc51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2107 Motor upgrade options

I've been looking into motor upgrades and I wanted to see if there is anything that I'm missing before dropping some money. Carts Unlimited has what seems like a nice option for under $600 with their FSIP speed motor. I just recently purchased an Alltrax 400 amp controller and upgraded solenoid from them so, according to their site, I should get around 27mph with factory wheels on their motor.

Are there other options that I should be considering that will get me similar speed. What about Plum Quick motors or anything else? Trying to stay in that $600'ish price range for motor budget but willing to up it to $750 if performance gains justify the extra spend.

My cart is basically street only and I don't have anything that I would consider a steep hill near me in the FL panhandle. I will be upgrading all wires to at least 2 gauge when I do the motor. I also plan a 3" lift and some 23" tires. Any idea what speeds I should expect with all upgrades combined. I'm sure that I'm not the first to have a similar setup so what are others seeing? Is 30mph realistic?
jayhrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2020, 05:42 PM   #2
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2107 Motor upgrade options

I have a 2011 Yamaha with the XCT400 controller and I upgraded to a double banded speed motor from Electrical Motor Products. The cart is otherwise stock, and I hit 30 on the nose via gps app on iPhone. With your eventual lift and bigger tires you should easily exceed 30 with good batteries. I called EMP and explained exactly what setup I have and terrain, # of passengers, etc. and they hooked me up.
Unsoshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:08 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Spend cheap, get cheap.. simple as that. You know the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true........"

Dont spend a dime "upgrading" your stock hitachi motor, it didnt do well at its "stock 19mph job", upgrades are pointless on the stock motor. (Your hitachi may not do 19 if the controller isnt unlocked, but still, dont pay any motor place to "redo it for more speed"). Ptv speed code (on the original motor controller) is the best for stock motor, any $ beyond that is a waste.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
LPnTX
Gone Wild

I sent my stock Hitachi motor to Plumquick for the Bandit upgrade and went from 12 to 17mph. I then added a Alltrax XCT 300 and got to 21mph. Unfortunately, it failed after two years and then I found a deal on a D&D motor.

I would call Don Plowman at Plowman's carts and discuss motor options with him. He hasdesigned motors specifically for torque and/or speed and is very helpful.
LPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #5
jayhrc51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Spend cheap, get cheap.. simple as that. You know the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true........"

Dont spend a dime "upgrading" your stock hitachi motor, it didnt do well at its "stock 19mph job", upgrades are pointless on the stock motor. (Your hitachi may not do 19 if the controller isnt unlocked, but still, dont pay any motor place to "redo it for more speed"). Ptv speed code (on the original motor controller) is the best for stock motor, any $ beyond that is a waste.
When I say upgrade, I mean replacement for something better. I prefer a purpose built motor but asked about Plum Quick or other options because I'm not up to speed on all the different motor options yet. I am definitely a "buy once, cry once" type of guy. So, what kind of options should I be looking at?

If I swap out the motor does it make sense to also change the rear end gear to something like a 10:1. Thought process being that I might be able to pick up more speed while reducing overall engine RPM. I realize that would also impact the torque requirements on the motor but just trying to get a handle on what makes sense and what is a waste of energy (money).
Old 07-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Any gear change should be accompanied by a controller upgrade. And, only specific motors will work with the stock controller (which isnt very powerful at all).
Old 07-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #7
jayhrc51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I've recently installed an XCT 400 and a HD solenoid so I'm ready for more upgrades at this point. Are you saying that a gear change should be the next logical step in the upgrade progression? I was thinking motor (since I've already done the controller/solenoid), wheels/tires/lift and then gear as a final piece of the puzzle.

If I do the gear change before motor that actually works in my favor because it'll save me a little bit of cash on this next round of upgrades.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

If you change gears and keep the stock motor & controller, you will shorten the life of both. I dont think gears should be on your upgrade list at all.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:19 PM   #9
jayhrc51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I do not have a stock controller, I have an XCT 400 from Alltrax.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Your next step for speed should be ditching the stock motor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha