lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2021, 07:34 PM   #1
BHahn
Not Yet Wild

Default Cost Effective Engine Swap - 1986 Club Car

I have a 1986 Club Car DS. The engine valves are worn and I’m told the timing system is off. The engine also has slop and would need to be bored out. I say I’m told all this because I have a guy working on the engine.

I am seeing some swap kits but they seem costly but I also am not the one who spent the time to machine the kit and factor out all of the measurements.

What I heard was get an engine from Harbor Freight (I believe it’s 18 to 22hp) plus a mod kit (I think that was on Vegas Carts?) and then that kit requires a lift kit. $900 for engine, $800 for mod kit, $300 for lift kit (likely would need new tires to make it look less silly) so that’s about $2000 to put in a new engine.
I don’t have machining skills but is this the best option or is there a 86 engine clone out there that I’m not finding? Or a cheaper kit option?
I did see a core swap out option but the company is currently at a 3-4 month lead time.
BHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2021, 05:19 AM   #2
olihjd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Cost Effective Engine Swap - 1986 Club Car

i am going thru same thing u r except i have a carrier club car,, that HF predator 670 cc engine seems to get very good reviews and so far the vegas big block kits seem to b about the lowest price an also very good rating on what i read so far and easy to install, i am about ready to order vegas big block kit an hopefully HF will have a sale on engine soon,right now it $869. good luck
olihjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:39 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Engines swaps kits are not cheap. You are paying for new parts, parts that are engineered specifically to fit your cart. Usually they are designed to "bolt in". With that said, they do require mechanical skills to install them and get the engine tuned. They are not for someone with no mechanical knowledge or skill. But, with some knowledge, some help, and basic tools, installing a swap kit is not really high up on the difficulty scale, probably a 5 out of 10.

The only way to "save" money is to engineer the kit yourself. You can find threads here where people have done it. You can also buy a "used" engine or use an engine that you have laying around. Doing this is not for the faint of heart. Many try this route and end up paying someone, buying a kit anyway, or giving up. If you have the skills and knowledge, this route might not be too difficult for you. Welding, fabrication, and basic mechanics are needed. Difficulty scale would be a 8 or 9 out of 10, depending on your abilities.

Here is a thread about engine swaps.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=172255
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Vegascarts has a step by step installation manual for your intended swap.There you can see what is involved and decide if it right for you.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Luckily on a club car, the engine cradle is a big flat platform. Very little modification is necessary to bolt in a predator 420 or equivalent. I don’t know what your power needs are to warrant a v twin, but a predator or lifan 420 is a HUGE upgrade to your stock KF82 motor. You can get them for about 400 bucks. It does take a little fabrication to get them installed but nowhere near as complex as a Yamaha or ezgo due to the engine cradle design. The hardest part is just lining it up and finding the right size belt. But between engine and clutch and parts you’re still looking around 700-800 bucks. It may be worth finding another KF82 and just dropping it in and calling it done.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #6
olihjd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

well i got my vegas cart cradle in, but had to lengthen my linkage 1in longer an mount the mounting bracket diff,,as u can see in pic i did this to make it stronger, my local HF is out of 670cc motors right now. i say it going good so far.working on 87 carryall club car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg utv.jpg (199.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-27-2021, 09:35 AM   #7
olihjd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

was easy swap with Vegas kit. i believe since i have a carryall 2 the muffler and all fits, i like the quieted muffler. motor fits easy with 3 in lift. for me it was easy to take the key an wire it to the dash. with 8 in tire an governor tied it will go 30 mph, stock it goes 15mph. i also plan on putting 26in atv tires on an then it will need 6in lift up front, i think 3in will b ok in rear. i did have to add small electric fuel pump,with pump it starts lot easier. It was fun job an ill do it again. now i have lots of good original parts. Motor bored 20 over but lost it spark, very good muffler an wires all for sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c2.jpg (227.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg c1.jpg (236.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (207.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-27-2021, 02:03 PM   #8
charlie99
Not Yet Wild

I hope there's more space between the muffler and the fuel tank than it looks like in your pics. Keep an eye on it!
charlie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie99 View Post
I hope there's more space between the muffler and the fuel tank than it looks like in your pics. Keep an eye on it!
I agree. I would move the muffler. Heat shield or not, that’s way too close to a plastic gas tank.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:47 PM   #10
olihjd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks an understand what ur saying,,muffler does have a heat shield an plus i added a heat shield so the tank is very safe an dont feel warm at all. i am going to keep track more on very hot days. hope it keep working because muffler an tail pipe has a nice quieted sound.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car