lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
tdcanada
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 90 Marathon 2-stroke Lift Question

Hi, I am working on lifting my 90 Marathon, Im new to carts so dont laugh to hard at my ideas! I am building my own block lift, didnt want to spend the money for the drop axle and Im pretty handy with a welder. I didnt want to use the shock extenders so I have purchsed extended Shocks (Gabrial 81676 for the back and 82170 for the front). The back is no problem but it looks like the shocks may rub the springs with the lift blocks installed. I may have to move the tabs on the axle over.

I have been accused of thinking too much at times, but has anyone over put the blocks on the back of the springs instead of the front, and used the longer shocks?

The other thought, and this is out there, to get more travel, has anyone ever removed the front springs and replaced them with a forward leading swing arm and installed spring over shocks in the front?

Ill await some of your comments.
tdcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 90 Marathon 2-stroke Lift Question

Oooo...being a big Jeep guy and very dissapointed at the articulation these carts have (or don't have), I am VERY interested in your swing arm idea. If you do it, make two sets and I'll buy the other off of you!
steveb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

If you're good with a welder, here's another idea to get more ground clearance in the front using the stock axle. Also, for more payload in the rear, this is how I did mine. The coilovers are stock from a Yamaha G1.

1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
tdcanada
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, I have acutally found a Gabriel Coil over for the back also 58486, ii's supposed to handle 1200 lbs. Im worried that may be too stiff. I like your front axle, it looks good, but it doesnt really give you anymore travel does it?
tdcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

No more travel, just more clearance. 1200# is pretty stiff for the back.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
If you're good with a welder, here's another idea to get more ground clearance in the front using the stock axle. Also, for more payload in the rear, this is how I did mine. The coilovers are stock from a Yamaha G1.

got any more pix of your front axle. I would like to see behind the plastic bumper cover.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Here's a pic during assembly, and before alignment. Remember that the camber is built into the axle. I cut the axle at 90° angles so the camber angle was left on the spindle bracket piece. Then I just welded 4" riser blocks. No need to mess around figuring angles this way.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
sledder1234
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

hey 1989 marathon, can u do me a huge favour and measure the size of the plate that holds the leaf and where the holes are i would appreciate it so much and the brackets on the bottom of the shocks just the width and the lenght on the top bend
sledder1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO