lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
jrohdy
Not Yet Wild

Default 83 EZ GO Marathon

Hello, my name is john and I am new to the golf cart world, but this a great forum. Ok I bought this 83 EZ GO marathon at an auction, for a project. This is all new to me. First, I am going through all the wiring to make sure everything is ok, I did find a wiring diagram on here. It is from an 86, it should be the same? So here is my question. how does the golf cart actually start? I found the miro switch, but I don't see how it is hooked up to the throttle cable in anyway? this raises my next question, how many cables is there suppose to be? I see 2, one throttle and the other one that goes to the govenor. thanks and any info will be appreciated.
jrohdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 83 EZ GO Marathon

WELCOME!!!The micro-switch is attached to the gas-pedal at the front of the engine-bay down at the bottom of the seat-base,the throttle-cable also connects here.There is a cable from the pedal to the carb,a cable from the govenor on the driven-clutch to the carb,and a choke cable.For the most part the 83 is basically the same as the 86,there may be some wire color changes,but the system is the same.The other switches mounted on the F/R-switch are for the back-up buzzer.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
jrohdy
Not Yet Wild

OK, think I see where it should be?, I must be looking at the limit switch then, cause there is a switch mounted on the back of the F&R switch(Lever)?
cause I see there is like an adjusting bolt for the micro switch, I will try to see if I can get a picture on here.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

This should help, it's a basic diagram as to how those switches are laid out (the switch on the F/Rlever is the microswitch for the reverse alarm, btw - you can actually pull the lead to that one if you want to eliminate that nasty buzzing when you try and back up) ... Also, do a thorough check on the accel switch - the wires like to corrode at the base of the clip so it LOOKS like they're still connected and good but it isn't making the connection (likely due to the exposure to the elements, water, etc they get down there at the bottom of the cart)

BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
jrohdy
Not Yet Wild

ok thanks for the diagram, I will check it out, but here is a picture of the only switch I found so far, If I am looking at this correctly I am missing 2 switchs, the accelerator switch and the neutral limit switch.
002.jpg
003.jpg
Old 07-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You may not have a neutral limit switch (my 86 does not). You definitely must have an accelerator switch (I don't know why they use the word limit) look under the driver's side of the seat very close to the firewall. On one side is connected to the ignition switch and the other goes to the start solenoid. This how the solenoid gets its power when you press on the throttle and how the cart starts.

Originally you should have had 4 cables going to the carburetor.

1. The accelerator
2. The choke
3. The cable to the oil pump.
4. The governor.

Now many owners (myself included) do not trust the oil pump and have removed it preferring to pre mix the oil in the gas tank. That cable may be long gone.

You should have a choke cable in there somewhere. It is also quite common to remove the governor cable which crosses the choke cable. Is it possible you mis-traced the two?

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
jrohdy
Not Yet Wild

thanks Dave box, it is all making sense now, I don't a neutral switch, and the I do have the is the reverse warning switch and followed the wires and found the warning device. I think I am missing the accelerator switch, here is a picture of where i think your telling me it should be? Thanks for all you help!
005.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (137.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Yep, that's where it should be.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
jrohdy
Not Yet Wild

Well looks like I have my worked cut out for me. Where is a good place to get parts for this old machine?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

any of the site sponsors are a good place to start, also buggiesunlimited has a good selection of older Marathon parts (worst case scenario is always Ebay, but be SURE you know what you're looking for if you go poking around there!)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO