lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Smcmurrey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Starter wiring question

I'm helping my father in law fix up a 2006 EZGO ST Sport 2 with the MCI 352 engine. We got this as a project and it was missing parts and the wiring was mostly missing, no voltage reg, no ignition, engine locked up, etc. I have the engine running now and I'm trying to understand how a few things should work since I've never had a golf cart before.

I used the GM HEI ignition modification I saw on here and a ford solenoid to start it. I have a new gas pedal micro switch, checked how it functions and it is normally open. When I press the accelerator pedal the switch will close and stay closed. If I wire this to the ford solenoid it will continuously run the starter motor even when the engine is running. Is this normal or am I missing something? (I attached a picture of the box the switch goes in, this is how I found it so I have nothing much to go by.)

Another question I have is about the clutch, without the belt on should it be moving when the engine revs up? I don't know if it needs drag from the belt for it to start working.

Thanks,
Stan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pedalSwitch.jpg (54.0 KB, 6 views)
Smcmurrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Starter wiring question

You need a constant duty solenoid (a standard car/truck solenoid will do just what you are describing, namely keep the starter running until it burns out) - the style used on snowplows, etc will work in a pinch, but it's best to pop the extra $7-10 for the correct one for your cart
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO