lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
toadady
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default it's smoking AGAIN

purchased my G2 smoking, put in new rings,valves,valvestem seal, ect, then year later i got busy with remodel and let it run low on oil, so back apart, punched out .020/.50mm, ran it month with Formula Shell 10w30 then changed the break in oil to Mobile1 10w30 full synthetic, this was a week ago, thursday oil light flickered and it was low, put in 3/4 of a qt of oil and now it's smoking. grrrr.
toadady is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: it's smoking AGAIN

These engines are very sensitive to being overfilled with oil. If adding 3/4 qt. to top it up actually overfilled it, check your airbox to be sure it didn't push the excess in there and soak the air filter element.

Synthetic oil is an excellent lubricant, far superior to standard oil. It can lubricate a little too good at times. Small engines are not as tight internally as automobile engines. The superior flow characteristics of synthetic can allow it to slip by seals and rings (like your new cylinder bore) and cause leaking and oil consumption.

Check your air filter and clean/replace as needed. Drain out the engine oil and put in 1 qt of your favorite brand of standard oil and run it awhile longer. After the rings wear in and seal a little better, you should be OK to switch to synthetic oil.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
toadady
Gone Wild

Yamaha

i'm no stranger to full syn, i preferr it too, so with a allsports lift where should the oil level be?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

With the cart lifted, the engine is tilted and the oil level reads low on the dipstick. Filling it to the full mark overfills the crankcase. Current wisdom is to dump your oil, put in 1 qt and mark your dipstick at the new level.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
crispy480
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Hey Gmb74!! With my G9 lifted, after doing an oil change and adding 1 qt the oil wont even register on the dipstick, so i never know what is truly in there. Any suggestions!
crispy480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
toadady
Gone Wild

Yamaha

well parts are on the way, it used over a quart and a half today with the kids running around smoking the mosquitoes out, had to take the plug out three times to wire wheel off the carbon on the electrode. i just can't see what changing oil types would do this, i guess I'll find out tomorrow night when i get the motor out and apart.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
toadady
Gone Wild

Yamaha

motor is back together, old rings had a end gap of .014, maximum is suppose to be .007, so the rings were gone, I have put a couple heat cycles through it so far today, i want to put a couple more through it before i let the kids on it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha