lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 Voltage Regulator

How have you been shutting the cart down once it starts and keeps on running??
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #12
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I've been looking at the G9 wiring from the Cunningham site and it seems to be incomplete, so I am also becoming confused. What I think is happening in your case is that, somehow, when the solenoid picks up, the brown wire becomes +12v and it is shorted to the r/w wire somewhere, which then keeps the solenoid picked up, even though you open the foot switch. You need to find the spot where that brown wire short to r/w wire is happening. My best guess is it's in or near the voltage regulator connector. Let me know what you find. - RAY
Old 09-16-2011, 02:08 AM   #13
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I can't find it to qoute as fact but I thought I read somewhere before that once started a bad V/R will back feed 12V to the solenoid and cause your symtoms.
So to clarify, You have repaired/replaced all burnt wires?
When you let off the pedal and it continues to run, how do you get it to stop?
try unplugging the V/R and see if it kills the solenoid.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #14
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Ray
All new wires have been strung that were damaged

Crash
replaced all burnt wires and checked the others
To stop it i have to disconnect the battery.

I think its the voltage regulator shorting inside allowing the brown wire to be 12v, since not having a fuse in the inline fuse holder allows it to run normal. Put the fuse in and it will not shut off until you disconnect the battery
plk1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Have you tried the cart with the voltage regulator unplugged?? If not, I would unplug the regulator and see if it runs normally. Advise results. RAY

PS-There is a very good chance that your regulator is bad and causing your problem. May also have been the cause of the smoked wire.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #16
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

runs fine without the voltage regulator plugged in.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #17
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Looks like the voltage regulator is bad, causing the "run-on" problem. Sorry for not suggesting running without the regulator sooner, because I assumed that you were testing the cart with it disconnected. I assume the G9 has the solid state regulator. As I mentioned earlier in post #2 you can do an ohmmeter test on the regulator to see if it's bad. Let me know what you find. - RAY
Old 09-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #18
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

1.189k ohm.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #19
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

OK, I was expecting that you would come up with a reading somewhere near 0 ohms which would definitely show it as a bad voltage regulator. Not really knowing exactly what the internal circuit is on these regulators, I'm at a point here where I can't say for sure if your v/r is good or bad. The fact that your cart will shut off now without the regulator connected says that the voltage regulator is a prime #1 suspect and you will have to try a new one. I searched the site and did find some information where this is a known problem (fairly rare). Do you know someone who could "lend" you his good regulator to try ?? You probably know by now that these are not a cheap item and I wish there was more help that I could provide, but I can't. Sorry. Maybe someone else can chime in with more help. - RAY
Old 09-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #20
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

thanks for all your help. ill have to borrow a friends and try it out. how bad is it to run it without the v/r?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha