lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
yardape
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Wink Have to turn off engine to Shift

Hello, and small problem,I have 1999 ezgo txt,modified with the big block Honda 24 hp and Terra toys complete front and rear 10" coilover suspension lift.When I start engine and start off in reverse i can shift to forward,but if I start off in forward I cant shift to reverse.I have to shut off engine then shift to reverse.Kind of a pain in the arse.Any Ideas?I was thinking about Installing Jakes new shifter but will I still this same problem?
Thanks,I love this site have always read the posts and have learned,but this has me Stumped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8361gml_20.jpg (59.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by yardape; 11-22-2011 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: spelling
yardape is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Default Re: Have to turn off engine to Shift

You can try to drop the idle rpm's, see if that helps.
The problem you're having is the rpm's are making the primary engage.

Does it have the stock Ez-go primary?
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

What he said,....had same problem with 14hp B&S, I put a shim in my drive clutch and lowered the rpm. No tac so did it by ear.
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Belt could be a little tight too, especially if it's a new one. But check the idle first. I know on the Briggs it needs to be below 1000, 800 works well.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
yardape
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies,Im looking for the idle speed adjuster screw on the Honda 24hp but cant see it anywhere.WTF,Anyone ever adjusted.I just bought this cart and was modified by previous owners.So still learning the ins and outs of the cart.Thanks.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Mines in the green circle. My motor is a Honda 20 hp. I think you have a 2 barrel carb. But it should be about the same place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user7328_pic8336_1294496294.jpg (102.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 12-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
yardape
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks For the replies,I adjusted the idle down to about 800 rpm.I also Installed a jakes shifter.Still has the problem.I think it has the stock driven and drive clutches,but not a 100 % sure.Should I replace the spring that cpp sells?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardape View Post
Thanks For the replies,I adjusted the idle down to about 800 rpm.I also Installed a jakes shifter.Still has the problem.I think it has the stock driven and drive clutches,but not a 100 % sure.Should I replace the spring that cpp sells?
You could do that. I would recommend talking with CPP about a clutch. I got one from Tom at CPP that will make you grin like you never have before
And, it has an idler bearing so you can tighten the belt like a banjo string
Old 01-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
yardape
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
You could do that. I would recommend talking with CPP about a clutch. I got one from Tom at CPP that will make you grin like you never have before
And, it has an idler bearing so you can tighten the belt like a banjo string
Thanks,I emailed Tom and he got back to me,He suggested the 08 clutch (whatever that Means)I did order the new spring and Install it.Made no difference,I Installed a new Jakes shifter also,no difference.The belt doesnt seem to tight,I can spin the drive cluch by hand and the driven just moves slightly.I guess I'm going to have to spend the $400.00 to find out.I guess really its just a kick in the bucket since Ive bought this cart have Installed a windsheild,new rag top,fender flares,few decals,rear bumper.DVD media center.
and the list goes on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050303.jpg (189.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P1050300.jpg (200.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1050299.jpg (179.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardape View Post
Thanks,I emailed Tom and he got back to me,He suggested the 08 clutch (whatever that Means)I did order the new spring and Install it.Made no difference,I Installed a new Jakes shifter also,no difference.The belt doesnt seem to tight,I can spin the drive cluch by hand and the driven just moves slightly.I guess I'm going to have to spend the $400.00 to find out.I guess really its just a kick in the bucket since Ive bought this cart have Installed a windsheild,new rag top,fender flares,few decals,rear bumper.DVD media center.
and the list goes on.
yardape, If you get the new clutch there is a significant performance increase as well. As far as the shifting, it's a lot like parking your car on a severe incline/decline and trying to get it out of park. Any tension on the transaxel will make your shifting from forward to reverse difficult.

Good luck
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO