lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default G16a primary clutch pully fingers

Ok, so I finally get the cart down to the lake this weekend, thinking the work is done and it time to enjoy it.
Nope!
I had opened the governor all the way, by tightening the bolt as far as it would go.

But I had one of those three primary fingers go past center, and stay, thus locking the unit up, like it is stuck in third gear.

I backed the bolt out that it is pivoting on, and put it back where it was supposed to be. It worked well for a while, but then did it again. This time it even put a dent in the cover.

Is this due to the wear on the fingers or something else? Can I just buy three new fingers, install them and it is good? I did find two little nylon thing stuck to the inside of the cover, but I don't see how they could be part of a problem.

Thanks again in advance for your help!
HemiED is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16a primary clutch pully fingers

This thing is almost 600 miles from me, so maybe I should have looked it over better. After spending a lot of today reading, I am wondering if the rollers don't have flat spots, instead of worn fingers.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I am in no means a guru when it comes to these clutches only my own experiences. One of mine did the same thing and it was the rollers on the clutches that had flat spotted and allowed the arms to cam over. You should be able to pull the cover and take a look at them to see if they are flat spotted.
hilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilla View Post
I am in no means a guru when it comes to these clutches only my own experiences. One of mine did the same thing and it was the rollers on the clutches that had flat spotted and allowed the arms to cam over. You should be able to pull the cover and take a look at them to see if they are flat spotted.
Thanks very much, that is the way I have been leaning! I ended up taking the plunge and ordering a performance clutch from one of the site sponsers here.

I have a good friend that lives in Conway, we have done a lot of Mopar stuff together.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

If your friend is who I think he is, he helps just about everyone with Mopar projects.

Sound like you did the same with your clutch that i did with mine, found the problem and ordered an HD replacement. One piece of advice, if you can make sure to get the clutch removal tool, it makes the job so much easier.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
If your friend is who I think he is, he helps just about everyone with Mopar projects.

Sound like you did the same with your clutch that i did with mine, found the problem and ordered an HD replacement. One piece of advice, if you can make sure to get the clutch removal tool, it makes the job so much easier.
Randy back halfed my old drag car, tied frame rails on my 67 R/T and sold me my 68 Hemi RR. Saw him last Father's day, he said he was retiring.

I did order the tool at the same time, thanks!
Once I get the old one off, I will probably rebuild it.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Mine went into the parts box. Which is a good thing since I just acquired another G16 today with a blown motor and it looks like it will need a bunch of parts before it's back on the road.

Good luck on getting that clutch swapped out. I know on mine it made a difference going to a better clutch.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Mine went into the parts box. Which is a good thing since I just acquired another G16 today with a blown motor and it looks like it will need a bunch of parts before it's back on the road.

Good luck on getting that clutch swapped out. I know on mine it made a difference going to a better clutch.
Any pictures? I got a second one last week myself.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I should have some pictures in a couple of days, it's been pretty soggy around here for a couple of days. I think this weather is supposed clear out towards the end of the week so I should be able to get some pictures then.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha