lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Donnyc1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Can't Solve Drive Belt Squeal on 1999 G16

Can't Solve Belt Squeal on 1999 G16

I have tried everything to stop the belt squeal. ( I assume it’s the belt squeal). As I am driving regardless of speed,
the squealing sound will start and continue until I change speed ( accelerate or decelerate).
Typically when the cart has been driven for awhile the squealing will occur more often. The squealing is quite loud.
The cart is at a lake resort and travels dusty roads. I have a hitch on the cart so I pull a small trailer with chairs and beer for the beach.
Under a load or traveling up a steeper grade the belt will not squeal and no squeal on start up or quick acceleration.
I have done the following
- Starter belt tight / some movement - no change
- Replaced the belt with an new OEM belt - no change
- Used belt dressing / Used a bar of soap – no change
- Cleaned the belt and pulleys with alcohol to remove all the crap I put on – no change
- Used emery cloth on the belt and pulleys to remove glazed surface - no change.
- Sprayed WD40 on any potential points that my cause squeaking Including
the secondary clutch spring / shaft - – no change
.- Greased the clutch – no change
The engine seems to be aligned with the transaxle, the pulleys are wearing evenly.
The belt rides to the top of the pulleys +/- ¼” or so.
Put the cart on stands and removed the drive belt ran the engine at various rpms (No squeal)
then replaced drive belt and squeal returns at various rpms

I am ready to tear the whole machine down and rebuild piece by piece until I find the cause.

Unless it is simply the belts are sub-quality. I see there are premium belts which are sold on the internet. Has anyone tried the “Premium “ belts??
Anyways, I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks
Donnyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: Can't Solve Drive Belt Squeal on 1999 G16

Don't spray WD40 on the belt or anything that touches the belt. If your belt is glazed on the outer edges (part that touches the clutch) it will squeal. A glazed belt also indicates that it has been slipping and gotten very hot.

Try lightly and with some very very fine sand paper or emory clothe, roughing up the sheaves on the clutches to remove the glaze or glassy look from them.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Donnyc1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks
I did try that, I used emery cloth and scuffed up the pulleys until
all shinness was gone. That seemed to help a little.
Ques: Is the an adjustment from the transaxle position and the engine position or
is that a fixed dimension without any type of movement for adjustment.

I am thinking that the belt is loose and is vibrating causing the belt to
squeal at constant speed.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Not on a G16 unless you can move the engine by loosing the mounting bolts. I don't think you can. You may have the incorrect size belt. Your belt should only give about an inch up and down either way sitting in the clutches (only that much play). You'll ruin a belt if spray anything oily on it.

Next belt you get, try one from Plowmans. They are excellent belts.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Donnyc1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Good information.
I do believe my belt may have stretched because there is way more slack than the 1” up and down.
I also suspect that the belt I had purchased was not of the best quality.

Thanks for you help.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Usually new belts are kind of sticky and will squeal some. A few drives down a dusty road will get rid of it. I'm not sure why it would not wear in for you if that is the case. A better belt should last longer, but assuming you have stock power a factory belt (not some no-name internet belt) should last quite some time. They were made for a lot more power than a cart has, that is why they were used as they need near no maintenance. When snowmobiles were breaking 100hp they had to come up with kevlar belts and so on. I guess I would double check the mounts and alignment on the engine as that could cause it. Do you have an aftermarket spring in it? They have a lot more pressure on the secondary. I agree plowmans has nice products, just saying stock carts/belts can last 10yr or some crazy thing. You can always flip the belt the other way and see what happens. You are not supposed to once it wears in, but on a cart with low power I doubt its an issue anyway.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Donnyc1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

All stock parts. The belt was bought was from a cart dealer. The dealer had no idea
about my problem.
It is a strange situation. There is no squeal off the belt until I am at a constant speed.
Whether it is at lower or higher speed, once the speed is constant the squeal starts.

The pulleys could be misaligned, it’s hard to tell by just looking. Once the power transfer
is at a constant, the motor could be shifting ever so slightly causing one side of the belt to slip.
Pulling at straws...any thoughts?

I second guess myself thinking that it could be something else beside the belt... But what
would sound like so much like a squeaky belt on a golf cart and if it was the noise would be constant
at any speed.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

1-With a seamstress tape measure the out side length of the belt.
See if it is in specks.
2- wash the belt with acetone and wire brush the edges.
3- get a piece of steel straight edge and check the clutch alignment.
4- watch the engine as some one presses the gas and brake to see if it moves under load.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Donnyc1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I will give these things a try.
After that I will butt the cart up against a big tree or something and put a
load on it to see if there is any engine / transaxle movement or shifting.

-Thanks for the info.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Look closely and make sure the belt is not hitting anything, or a stick up under it/etc. I had that and could not see it until I was under the cart. Don't know what else would sound that way maybe brakes but doubt it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha