lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
dragracer300
Not Yet Wild

Default G14 clutch issue?

Is there any way to increase engagment rpm on a stock yamaha clutch? I already have the torque spring on the driven clutch but i need to raise the rpm a little.
Thanks
dragracer300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G14 clutch issue?

They don't use a spring in them so there is no way. However they do work pretty well if set up properly. Is the clutch in good order meaning no flat spots on the rollers or broken weights/etc? Did you clean and lube them, only 1-2 pumps of grease in them. Then you need to make sure the engine can't torque into the trans. Older carts used a cable under the gen to hold it, or the mounts can go bad on other carts. That will make it bog on takeoff with a big load. If you start on a hill it should gain more rpm in a few seconds and go up it. Is the belt near the center shaft in the primary when it engages? If it is way up then the belt is too loose. A worn belt will also bog you can't run 1" wide or less on a lifted cart new is 1 3/16. I would also try one of the kevlar HD belts they are 1 1/4 and made a difference on my cart. You can also cut the secondary sheave or buy one cut, that gives a lower gear to take off. The kevlar belt sort of does the same thing because it is wider the belt will stick out the top of the secondary at rest/takeoff.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
dragracer300
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. I use this cart to push my 2500lb drag car around the pits. I have lubed the clutch but i have not replaced the belt because it looks fine. The cart is lifted with 22x10x10 tires. It worked ok for a while but it continues to get worse.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Try one of these it works great on my cart, I made a thread on it some others have posted.
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/product...roducts_id=294
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...tml#post759809

I would get a cut sheave or cut your secondary sheave anyway, just make sure the kevlar belt is still in the sheave if you cut one....don't cut too much. All they do is mill off the inside face on the movable sheave so they close closer together.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
dragracer300
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I'll try the belt. Any idea how much needs taken off the sheave?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

One post said down to the shaft seal face but I don't know. I can tell you the cut was about 1/2" wide on the new one I bought that way from tnt. You might not even need to with that belt, but it will help with towing. It also gets rpm faster from a dead stop.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
tikicart
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

On my g16 I machined mine flush with the face seal and run the cpp Kevlar belt, my belt sticks about 1/8" above the secondary. Machining the secondary was a nice improvement and well worth doing.
tikicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
dragracer300
Not Yet Wild

Does machining the clutch affect top speed or does it remain the same?
Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer300 View Post
Does machining the clutch affect top speed or does it remain the same?
Thanks
Top speed stays the same, just stays in low gear a little longer. I just machined mine and I think I'm going to go a little further but it did make a difference on the low end and didn't hurt the top end at all.
Honorstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha