lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
REDDOG68
Not Yet Wild

Default Key ignition switch

Has anyone installed a new ignition switch on a newer cart? I have an 04 gasser and would like to install a new ignition switch so my key will be different than the one that everyone else has!! The problem I am running into is that on the back of the stock ignition there are 5 terminals and almost all of the new ignitions I am looking at have only 2 terminals.. I am just wondering if anyone has installed one of these in their cart and can help me out with the correct wiring? Thanks
REDDOG68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: Key ignition switch

You might want to take your switch to a Locksmith and have him "re-Key" the switch. They can do it while you wait.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
REDDOG68
Not Yet Wild

I have a stock ignition switch now. Can they re-key a stock switch? It seems like it's kind of cheap and made of plastic. I wanted to install a metal one.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
oliver28472
Getting Wild

The keys are all alike for the club cars and the locksmith will cost more than the switch. Check the stickys for wiring diagrams. I think the two terminals are for electric. I have a manual for 84-91 carts showing a 4 post switch. On the switch, M- is ground. M+ has a white wire going to the bottom of three spades on the nuetral lockout switch and a white/black wire going to the accelerator kill limit switch. The #1 terminal has a blue wire going to the solenoid. The #2 terminal has a red wire going through a fuse then to another post on the solenoid. And I could just about swear my old cheap switch has five posts like yours!!!
oliver28472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Being that I'm a locksmith...

It's useless to try to rekey the stock ignition!
I have yet to even try take one apart, Only because, there's only one wafer (tumbler) in it,
and there's no other spot to relocate it too!

At our campground, 2 weeks ago, 2 carts were taken from the bar,
they were found a couple hours later... abandoned, but not harmed!
(thought to be weekenders... and probably teenagers!)

With the amount of money I have invested in my cart,
I too, am going to try to find an ignition switch to replace my stock one!

It may be a while... but I'll try to find one, and post what I've done!

So... keep trying to find a replacement!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
REDDOG68
Not Yet Wild

Hey Lockman, I found plenty of them on Ebay for around $10. Most are 2 position with 2 terminals. I am just wondering how to connect all of the wires that are on the existing one (5 terminals) to the new one with 2.. I have called around and Club Car sells one that will replace the old one, I think they call it a "uncommon ignition". The only problem is that I really can't see paying $50 for it!! Call me cheap I guess :)
Old 08-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Santacruzslick
Getting Wild

If you guys are just looking for more security I've got another idea for you. Auto Zone has a little kit called a wireless fog light kit. It's a key chain remote to turn fog lights(or whatever other accessory) on and off. It could be wired up on the ignition wire so before you can turn the cart on with the key you would have to push the "on" button on the key chain remote. It cost about $20 I believe.
Santacruzslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Not a bad idea...

What I've been doing lately, is puting it in "Maintenance Mode" when I
park it at night, or leave it for the week!
It gets me every time when I jump on it, and it won't even turn over!

Another cheap idea, might be to add an additional key or toggle switch
underneath the seat that completely disables the ignition or battery!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Justin Like the Boots
Not Yet Wild

Any parts store sells a cheap key switch ignition for $8-12. I got one at O'Rileys. Its a non generic better cut key, better than the factory lawnmower key that starts just about everything! Only problem is im stuck right where you are trying to figuer out how to wire the *** thing! original was 5 prong and this one is 4.

Anyone out there do this already what wires go where, I dont care where they come from! just want to hook them up and go! LOL
Justin Like the Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
RDNECKS
Not Yet Wild

I got a universal ignition switch from Auto-Zone for $10.00 it the same as a in-dash switch on older cars
RDNECKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car