lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
brewman
Not Yet Wild

Default g2 backup light wiring help

tried to wire a backup light by pigtailing the wires to the backup buzzer and all i got was the light and no buzzer. what am i doing wrong and how do i wire a backup light. it's a small 12 volt halogen light
brewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: g2 backup light wiring help

Did you hook the light ground wire to the battery ground and the light power wire to the pink wire on the buzzer?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
brewman
Not Yet Wild

i had the light power to the pink and the light ground the the black on the buzzer
Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

It should work like that too. Maybe re-check the connections?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
brewman
Not Yet Wild

the connections were good i just could not get both to work at the same time. i talked to someone who wired there backup light and they told me they had to use a relay of some sort.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
BillieS
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman View Post
the connections were good i just could not get both to work at the same time. i talked to someone who wired there backup light and they told me they had to use a relay of some sort.
Your light is pulling all the power from the buzzer. This is why your buzzer will not work. Your buzzer has a small coil in it to make the sound. The light does not. Electric will take the least path of resistance, kinda like water. The bulb is your least path of resistance.

Assuming it is 12 volts, take a small 12v BOSCH relay wire the coil of the relay to the reverse switch. Take the common side of the coil and run it to the battery positive. Take the N.O. side of the coil and wire in your light. Ground the light on the frame where you can. Use a fuse from the battery to the relay in case something shorts out.
BillieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Bad idea to run about anything off factory yamaha cart wiring, they don't leave extra capacity in there. Good part is relays are cheap, or go to the boneyard and look under the hood of any GM car (and many others) there are handfulls of them. The bosch style all wire up the same. The plugs for them cost about the same as the relay about $4 last I looked. Power your stuff off the battery, only the relay coil from the cart.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #8
BillieS
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Bad idea to run about anything off factory yamaha cart wiring, they don't leave extra capacity in there. Good part is relays are cheap, or go to the boneyard and look under the hood of any GM car (and many others) there are handfulls of them. The bosch style all wire up the same. The plugs for them cost about the same as the relay about $4 last I looked. Power your stuff off the battery, only the relay coil from the cart.
Yep you are right. I worded it wrong. I meant to take the power, common, from the battery. Just wire the coil of the relay to the switch.
BillieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
Yep you are right. I worded it wrong. I meant to take the power, common, from the battery. Just wire the coil of the relay to the switch.
I thought you had it right. Yes you should ground to the battery, easy to forget they don't have a frame ground....except my cart does I put one on. The lights ground on the mount bolt didn't really have a choice but it works fine. They go dim if the ground fails.

The engine is grounded but its not on the frame and also is on rubber mounts.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
brewman
Not Yet Wild

tried every possible wiring combo and nothing worked, so i had to go with a relay and everything works great.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha