lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
colu41
Getting Wild

Default Rebuild Starter/Gen?

Is it worth rebuilding? I dont understand how a new one is $250+. I got my motor all rebuilt and all back together. Cart runs amazingly smooth. But its not charging the battery. Starter is getting ultra hot, and wont push a charge to the battery. Just wanted to know if its worth rebuilding/cleaning.

Otherwise I'll rig up a car alternator to it and run that. Not paying $250.
colu41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rebuild Starter/Gen?

Check all your connections first, a bad ground will do exactly what you described.If the wiring looks good,send the starter and regulator to a alternator shop to be tested.Worst-case on a rebuild will likely be half the price of a replacement.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I had mine rebuilt at a local shop and it cost me $75.00 and it was in bad shape.
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
colu41
Getting Wild

Thanks guys. We did put it together quite quickly but. Looked like everything was good. Theres one ground wire we ended up moving because of a "lost" nut and bolt lol, but, thats not anywhere near the starter/gen. Would that matter?

another thing. I brought the starter/gen to a local shop before the motor build, and he tested the starter and it was fine, but could not say whether or not the generator part of it was working.... he runs an alternator/starter shop.. How could he not test that?
Old 09-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

It doesnt matter if the wire is "near" something,all grounds and feeds need to be correctly connected,or things like you are dealing with will drive you insane.I always argued with my dad about using wire-nuts on stranded wires,and every time he had an issue,i would butt-connect the wires,and fix the issue.Electricity is simple,but connections and circuits must be completed properly.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
colu41
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
It doesnt matter if the wire is "near" something,all grounds and feeds need to be correctly connected,or things like you are dealing with will drive you insane.I always argued with my dad about using wire-nuts on stranded wires,and every time he had an issue,i would butt-connect the wires,and fix the issue.Electricity is simple,but connections and circuits must be completed properly.
Thanks. I will definitely go through it all again tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #7
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by colu41 View Post
Thanks guys. We did put it together quite quickly but. Looked like everything was good. Theres one ground wire we ended up moving because of a "lost" nut and bolt lol, but, thats not anywhere near the starter/gen. Would that matter?

another thing. I brought the starter/gen to a local shop before the motor build, and he tested the starter and it was fine, but could not say whether or not the generator part of it was working.... he runs an alternator/starter shop.. How could he not test that?
He should be able to check output, if you have no luck I would have it tested somewhere else.
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:23 AM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

They are not a golf-cart specific unit,alot of older lawn mowers and other equipment used them as well.Ifhe cant test it properly,find another shop.A D/C motor(basically what you have)will spin if you power it,and make power if you spin it(once the engine fires,its charging).Likely you have a regulator or wiring issue.Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
colu41
Getting Wild

Ok. I'll check the wiring and test the regulator again.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
colu41
Getting Wild

Another quick question while I do this. The key turned to off doesn't kill the motor, when kill switch isn't plugged in. Otherwise taking your foot off the pedal does kill the motor, but when in maintenance mode and working on it, the key will not kill the motor. What causes this?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car