lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2021, 04:32 PM   #1
disneyland kid ride
Not Yet Wild

Default 1971 harley davidson golf cart rattle noise turning left after engine swap

Installed ebay long block. seems to run ok with less end play than my old motor. Now I have this erratic rattling noise only turning left moderate speed. Low speed doesnt do it. moderate speed and above it does it. But only turning left??? Only thing I can think of is motor mounts or mount washers not in right spot but not sure if those are in the correct spots. Seems to me the large mount washers go where the engine doesnt have the wide mount boss. Maybe even the tork rod is not installed right but Im just plain stumped. Nobody else seems to have posted about a rattle noise either.
Main issue trying to find this is how does one troubleshoot something that only does it turning left???
disneyland kid ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1971 harley davidson golf cart rattle noise turning left after engine swap

You are spot on. Your motor mounts aren't stiff enough and your engine is rotating the primary clutch into the secondary one at high speed. You can add some spacers between the frame and the driver's side mounts to tighten them up.

An old cart guy I know told me that you can remove the driver's side mounts altogether as well. I have never done that, though. It would be safe for sure. I would imagine that the only side effect might be a slightly shaking cart but, for as old as these things are, I would bet that no one would notice it if even it existed.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #3
disneyland kid ride
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1971 harley davidson golf cart rattle noise turning left after engine swap

jacked it up ran it. sure enough primary goes closer to driven clutch hence the sharp marks on it. 4 mounts coming today. Replace time. I probably damaged the mounts trying to get the belt off by lengthing the long support rod forcing the engine frontward.. mounts are old oil rotted and drivers rear isnt even riveted down. Interesting about removing the mounts all together. Wanna do it 100 percent. Amazed that I cant find these mounts locally as Ive seen them on stuff.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:24 AM   #4
disneyland kid ride
Not Yet Wild

still hunting for proper torq rod from engine to differential procedure. No clue yet where thats at.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:04 PM   #5
disneyland kid ride
Not Yet Wild

fixed the turning left rattle. Motor was indeed crashing into the driven clutch. Drivers rear motor mount rivets werent holding. Mount was sorta usable so I just bolted mount back down to frame and shimmed the large under side washer with a 5/8 hole washer. Motors much more solid now. On to the fibreglass damage on rear hinge and other areas.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson