lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2020, 06:59 AM   #1
dredey1`
Not Yet Wild

Default Predator 670cc muffler options

We are half commited to this conversion.

2007 Club Car Gas. STOCK Blown FE290 motor.

Our uses are rides to the beach and the shoreline.

Quiet residential high end neighborhoods.

Having second thoughts about it being way too loud.

We've already purchased 6inch lift kit and 12 inch tires.

Our continuing research is proving there is no way we can pull up to a quiet family beach with a loud *** golf cart that sounds like a tractor.

PLEASE HELP..!!!
dredey1` is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Predator 670cc muffler options

Any muffler that drastically reduces sound will also kill performance. There is a happy medium there. I use a generator muffler made for semi truck generators. Google "Thermo King muffler". They are usually 500cc+ diesel engines on those gen sets and the mufflers they use need to be quiet enough to allow noise at the truck stops to be low. I use one on my cart and I also use a silencer insert that I found on ebay. It's pretty quiet, like a stock atv.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thermo king apu muffler.jpg (123.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg muffler insert 2.jpg (91.1 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #3
dredey1`
Not Yet Wild

Thank you.

Do you have part numbers?

I googled and came up with multiple options.

I need this thing to be quiet.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #4
mibeaulieu
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

following. I was told a walker 18192 muffler would be very quiet for this application. You would need to get a "Y" pipe to get it to work.
mibeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
dredey1`
Not Yet Wild

sure wish i could find a fe290 direct replacement. not really looking for anything crazy just don't see many other options.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

"Quiet" is very subjective. What one considers quiet is another's loud. What kind of decibels are you looking for?

A straight piped 670 will likely be in the 118 db range or higher. Zero back pressure.

Adding a stock atv muffler will get you down to 95 db. No significant added backpressure.

The Thermo King muffler is available in many brands, but they are nearly the same spec wise. The one I got is from Tractor Supply, made by Stanley I believe. It's considered a universal muffler.

Both the atv muffler and the Thermo King muffler will be quieter than the stock generator muffler that comes on the 670, which will probably be 105-109 db.

Going to a small muffler like a stock golf cart muffler will get you below 90 db, but will kill your power. Just measure the exhaust port on the 670 and measure the inlet and exhaust on a stock golf cart muffler.....big difference. All the extra power you're enjoying with the 670 will now be reduced by 30-40% from the added back pressure.

Any muffler you use will need to be adapted to fit your exhaust pipes.

You can buy a Decibel meter on Amazon for $20, that way you can put a number to your changes. Always test the decibels 20 inches behind the machine and 45 degrees to the side, and at 2500-3500 rpm.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Any muffler that drastically reduces sound will also kill performance. There is a happy medium there. I use a generator muffler made for semi truck generators. Google "Thermo King muffler". They are usually 500cc+ diesel engines on those gen sets and the mufflers they use need to be quiet enough to allow noise at the truck stops to be low. I use one on my cart and I also use a silencer insert that I found on ebay. It's pretty quiet, like a stock atv.
That is like the Walker 22022. That was the first muffler I tried and found it WAY TOO LOUD. That was also the original muffler VC recommended and most people that bought it found too loud.You might want to read my "clone exhaust" thread for a ton of input from others on the muffler situation. Some have found the walker 22229 to be the quietest with a 90 degree tail pipe BUT that takes up quite a bit of space.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:04 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
That is like the Walker 22022. That was the first muffler I tried and found it WAY TOO LOUD. That was also the original muffler VC recommended and most people that bought it found too loud.
Did you use it with the insert like I posted? It cuts the db's way down without restrictions. Also the Walker 22022 is a "tractor" muffler. The one I posted about is a "Thermo King APU Tripac muffler". Different animal. There are different versions of that muffler, don't know why, but the one from Tractor Supply has less packing material and baffling than the real "Thermo King" muffler. Have you ever stood next to a semi while the generator was running? They have to meet strict sound requirements, so these mufflers are as good as it gets.

https://www.ruralking.com/thermo-king-tripac-muffler-3

Also, you used this on the VC440 correct? Those are considerably louder than a vtwin. I've used that muffler on a 440/460, 16hp Vanguard, and 23hp Vanguard and I was pleased with the results.

It's a 1 3/8" inside diameter pipe, so you just order a 1 3/8" diameter silencer insert. I got mine on ebay for $12 or so. You can find them in just about any diameter to match what ever muffler you use.

Here's a long one that you can cut down to fit the entire length of the muffler.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Muf...MAAOSwM6FcGDoI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muffler insert 2.jpg (91.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg muffler insert 1.jpg (109.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-01-2020, 07:27 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Guys, here are pics of the Thermo King APU Tripac muffler, with part numbers. I'm telling you this muffler is super quiet. It's used for semi truck generators for running overnight in crowded truck stops while the truckers sleep. They have to meet sound requirements to be legal by DOT. I'm a Class A semi driver and I've used them, I've walked next to them while running, and I've slept with windows open in the truck while it's running. They are quiet. And the diesel engine that runs is bigger and way more loud than a little 440 clone or 670 Vtwin, guaranteed. I also am a mechanic and I've worked on these APU's, these mufflers are legit. Expensive, but legit.

You can look up and find the Stanley versions, Walker versions....not the same at all. We've used them on trucks and they are louder. The trucks would come back the next week and we'd be installing OE Thermo King mufflers at twice the cost. The drivers hated the $69 versions. The cheaper versions are made in China. The OE version is made in the US and is Stainless.

I haven't used one on a cart yet, but I will soon. The Stanley version I got from Tractor Supply is good enough for my cart. I have a decibel meter, maybe after work tonight I'll get some readings for you.

Here is the Thermo King website. Read about how much effort they put into making these quiet.

https://www.thermoking.com/na/en/roa...SAAEgKBkvD_BwE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thermo King 120913 muffler 1.jpg (35.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Thermo King 120913 muffler 2.jpg (35.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Thermo King 120913 muffler 3.jpg (28.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I see VC recommendation for the quietest muffler from their customers is the Walker 18192. The more you look the bigger more baffled units work best. The smaller near straight thru even with the 90 degree inlet get loud at revs.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!