lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #1
snorp
Not Yet Wild

Default 2009 RXV Need a Reducer?

I purchased a 2009 RXV 2+2 Shuttle and just had the batteries replaced with 4 12v Trojans. When I drive at night, the batteries drain quickly, and my lights will dim whenever I push on the accelerator after driving for 20 minutes.

I searched the forum quite a bit and have learned the following. My cart has a Danahur controller, factory headlights and taillights (not LED), and the lights are wired directly to the left most battery. It does not have a reducer.

I also checked the voltage of all batteries after driving one night, and although I do not currently remember the values, the battery with the lights connected was significantly lower.

I'm going to speculate that I need a reducer, although I don't understand why it didn't come with one from the factory if it was really necessary? I have seen a lot of recommendations for reducers here but still not clear on what I really need. I think I need 30 amp that connects to the solenoid? Do I need a fuse block? Any particular brand? Anything else?

I know to put the cart in tow with the key off before wiring anything and I do not plan to add any 12v accessories in the future. Thanks ahead of time!
snorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2021, 07:14 PM   #2
snorp
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2009 RXV Need a Reducer?

I ordered a reducer off of Amazon, will update if it has any impact.
snorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #3
JPC763
Not Yet Wild

Hey Snorp, I don't have an answer for you but I am very interested in what you end up doing. I have a 2017 RXV and I am wanting to add a reducer. I don't know how big a one I want. Can you post a link of the one you bought? Also, let me know how you wired it up! Thanks in advance!
JPC763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorp View Post
I purchased a 2009 RXV 2+2 Shuttle and just had the batteries replaced with 4 12v Trojans. When I drive at night, the batteries drain quickly, and my lights will dim whenever I push on the accelerator after driving for 20 minutes.

I searched the forum quite a bit and have learned the following. My cart has a Danahur controller, factory headlights and taillights (not LED), and the lights are wired directly to the left most battery. It does not have a reducer.

I also checked the voltage of all batteries after driving one night, and although I do not currently remember the values, the battery with the lights connected was significantly lower.

I'm going to speculate that I need a reducer, although I don't understand why it didn't come with one from the factory if it was really necessary? I have seen a lot of recommendations for reducers here but still not clear on what I really need. I think I need 30 amp that connects to the solenoid? Do I need a fuse block? Any particular brand? Anything else?

I know to put the cart in tow with the key off before wiring anything and I do not plan to add any 12v accessories in the future. Thanks ahead of time!
EZGO has been selling carts without converter/reducers for years probably to reduce expenses. Same reasons they use barely adequate battery cables. To be fair, carts destined for the fleets don't have lights and no need for 12v power. Some newer versions due come with converters.
The consensus opinion here is that using a converter is the best way to go to avoid the battery pack becoming unbalanced. Usually converters in the 30amp range are recommended to allow extra capacity for expansion and are reasonably priced. 10 amp is enough if you are only running lights. Normally folks use converters with a trigger wire so the converter can be switched through the key but there are other ways.
The picture shows where mine is mounted. Its on plastic and has been fine for 5 + years.

Here is a thread about wiring in a converter. Cgtech and Bob Boyce both comment in there. Cgtech is a golf cart tech and Bob is a recognized expert on EZGO electronics. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=121819

Note: converter and reducer are technically different but the terms are used interchangeably a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0444.jpg (367.1 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:09 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

What he said. I would also switch over your current bulbs to led. If factory lights should be 881 bulbs in the front and 1157 for the rear.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO