lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2021, 09:41 PM   #1
mayberry32
Not Yet Wild

Default Golf Bag Holder Issues

We live in a golf course neighborhood and still use our cart as a golf cart. I have 2 boys and a girl and we go hit balls most evenings before dark. I have a back seat on my 2016 RXV with the grab bar on the back. I have owned the golf bag attachment that slides over the grab bar for a few years. It seems the bag attachment is made for the bar, but the bar and rear seat step aren't made for the bag attachment. It keeps bending down and making a horrible squeaking sound. I'm looking for alternative ideas, but I'm having no luck. With the kids with me, I can't use the bar that goes across the armrests, because the rear seat wouldn't be accessible. I also can't turn the bag holder in toward the cart and sit the bags on the rear step, because I have a long top on the cart, and the clubs don't have room to get out of the bag that way. Any other ideas, or products that might work for me?

I have looked at a Madjax Genesis 300 rear seat kit with the golf bag attachment, and it looks like the step is plastic material and much deeper. That could possibly work, but would be a $650 solution. I'd love to find something cheaper than that. Or, if no other options exist, at least know that it would work and the clubs would clear my roof, if I go to the effort and expense to change the entire rear seat out.

Any ideas or product solutions would be greatly appreciated.
mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Golf Bag Holder Issues

one thing you could do is turn the bag around and set it on the step like you mentioned, but once you get to the range, take the bag off so you can access your clubs.
Sir Nuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
mayberry32
Not Yet Wild

The range isn't the issue. It's on the course, itself. My sons are both learning to play, and we ride 5-7 holes most nights. It's accessing the clubs on the cart while playing that's the issue. From what I'm finding, my only options are:

1) Replacing the rear seat with a Madjax Genesis 300 seat kit (IF this will actually work and hold the bag with more stability than the rear seat I have right now.)

2) Replace my roof with a shorter roof that doesn't cover the rear seat at all.

3) Install a trailer hitch receiver that bolts to the frame, inserting an extension sleeve to get out past the rear step, and buying a bag holder that goes into a hitch receiver.

If anyone has used option 1 or 3, and it works well, please let me know.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:41 PM   #4
JBERGER
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

How is it currently attached?
I wanted a wider grab bar, so I just drilled out the step frame to accept the wider bar.
I also used steel which might give better resistance to the bending.
JBERGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:50 PM   #5
mayberry32
Not Yet Wild

Using one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/Golf-Cart-R...9T9T2XK2SECPJ8

The problem is that the weight is all on the back, which constantly bends the grab bar and the rear step, where the bags aren't upright, but are at an angle and falling off constantly. It also ruins the rear grab bar and step. I've tried twice and even upgraded my rear seat to a better one. But, this one is starting to do the same thing.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:22 AM   #6
swm63
Gone Wild

A ratchet strap through the bracket to some support, like the front seat back, will help until you find a more permanent solution. One strap between the rear passengers won't affect seating back there... Just a thought.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Maybe a picture will help? Most grab handles I've seen are quite weak, so hanging a single bag off of them while driving will be hard on the handle, nevermind two.

I put a trailer hitch receiver on my cart, but I didn't buy the one that just bolts to the rear step since those are also relatively weak for pulling a utility trailer. I had to make my own and welded it on further back to the support bar under the bagwell. Then I mounted a four bike holder that folds down and acts as a grab handle when folded. It works very well and would hold two bags easily. If you get a trailer hitch welded to your cart it would certainly cost far less than $650.

Here is a bike holder like the one I use. It folds down. The only issue is the folding arms make it difficult to mount a Low Speed Vehicle reflective triangle.
https://smile.amazon.com/Allen-Sport...g%2C237&sr=1-3
Also, here is the ATV Hitch Receiver I used. I didn't use the bolt hole, but I flipped it upside down and welded it to the 1" x 1" square tube metal stock I had, which I welded to the footrest and the bagwell support.
https://www.harborfreight.com/atv-hi...ter-65961.html
Or this may be easier, at 18" long you may not need any other additional support metal. Could possibly reach the bagwell support, I don't know.
https://www.harborfreight.com/class-...ube-69815.html

If you have a buddy who welds you can get the hitch done (worst case scenario) for about $20 in steel and $20 in a Harbor Freight trailer hitch receiver and $40 in beer... If you have to pay for the welding then it'll be more, but still far less than $650 for everything...

Here is the write up I did on adding a trailer hitch to my cart. If I were to do it again, I'd use thicker 1x1. But it's lasted fine so far and is FAR stronger than the bolt on receivers. I didn't take a picture of where I welded it to the bagwell support bar, but it's back there. Just be prepared to weld for a bit under the bagwell, move your stuff out of the way and cool it with water, move back and weld under the bagwell some more.
https://www.harborfreight.com/class-...ube-69815.html
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO