lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #11
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G9 build

Nice lookin cart!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

yes a very nice find!
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
Alpo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks guys!

I'm heading to Walmart at lunch to try and get a battery and some oil. The goal for tonight is to drain the oil and fuel and get the engine cleaned up. What's the best way to clean this mess up? I'm assuming I need to cover the carb. Anything else?

Notice the corrosion on the metal and the foam around the battery compartment. I know that the cart was put on it's side once or twice. I'm assuming that the battery spilled and it was never cleaned up. That's the worst of it though.

Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

looks like a nice project!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If you are not pulling all apart, wire wheel and scrub the metal up then paint with rustoleum hammer finish paint. It can be applied over surface rust.

Nice cart, GOOD LUCK and welcome.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #16
Alpo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

OK guys, I started it up today for the first time. I installed a new starter since the old one wouldn't even turn over the engine and the brushes looked really bad.

With a new battery and starter, the cart starts fine, but it's very slow. On flat ground it goes about 1/2 MPH. Just as a guess, I'd say the engine is turning at about 500 RPM and it won't rev any higher. It sounds like a sewing machine and the clutch is barely engaging. The engine has two speeds "on" abd "off". Is it supposed to be like this?

FWIW, I haven't done anything to tune it up yet.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

you need to check the condition of the engine; comprestion test, check for spark, check for fuel pumping out of the fuel pump when engine is cranking, clean the carb, ect. start with the comprestion test. and make sure there is oil in the engine.
it sounds like the engine is not starting at all.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
Alpo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks sabercat,
You're right. The engine is not starting at all. I guess my ignorance shows through

I pulled the fuel line off of the outlet of the fuel pump. It's pumping while it cranks. I changed the oil before I got the battery installed so that's good. I'm hoping it's the spark plug.

Two more stupid questions. I called Autozone and they don't have an NDK spark plug, but they do have an Autolite. Will it hurt anything? Also, what size of socket does the NDK plug that's in the cart require. I only have a 5/8" deep well and that doesn't fit.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #19
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

i think it could be somthing else electrical besides the plug. have you checked/cleaned the carb yet? and you also need to do a compresstion test.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #20
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Yamaha G9 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabercat View Post
i think it could be somthing else electrical besides the plug. have you checked/cleaned the carb yet? and you also need to do a compresstion test.
Check the voltage across the entire pack.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha