lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
WKC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Automatic Charging

I removed the case and found the BAD part was and is the 15 amp breaker. The only thing that was done is to bypass it and just hook it direct nothing else has been touched so now I am back to the Cart being the issue I have been reading up some on this year and model charging system and it seems to be a BIG Problem the last thing I need
to do is set Her up with a system that is prone to breaking down or boiling the batteries and making them bad as it looks like I will have to replace at least 2 at the moment 4 are08 and have not been used much what kind of a system can I use to replace this 1 I want a on board charger anyway and I know that there are some that constantly maintain your batteries that all of the brains are in the charger and not the cart any suggestions? Or is it ok to just fix this issue and it will be fine I live 250 miles from her and once I deliver the Cart to her I won't be able to just run over to work on it so I really need something reliable.
Thanks for the Held David I am in a field that I know little about but as far as electrical goes there is no problem what I don't know I have a friend that is a Electrical Engineer maybe we can fix the issue on the cart I don't know but will it keep working?
If you want to call me that would be great Home 3 502-233-4367 Sprint cell 502-275-1153 Thanks again K C

K C

Last edited by WKC; 02-14-2012 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Add more information
WKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

its cheaper to put a new OBC in it if thats the problem and the new one is updated.........however you can eliminate it and put a stand alone charger in it also but theres a little more involved and cost is at least twice what OBC cost.................when the OBC is working there is nothing better at maintaining the batteries as far as voltage used from each one and what goes back into it when charging..............i am not a fan of the OBC however when working i don,t think theres anything better just my opinion............i,ll suggest again that you get the charger working and than lets find out just whats wrong be it either charger or cart................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
WKC
Getting Wild

Club Car

I did get it working and let it charge for 20 hours it was not putting in any voltage but the charger was still running it did not shut off when I unpluged it there was a clicking sound and when I pluged it back in it tried to charge the batteries so the answer is that it charges but does not shut completele off when done. I found out about the jumper wire and removed the outside cover to find the circut breaker was jumped out to make it charge and nothing else so again I think it is in the cart the charger works like it should the board in the cart is not doing its job I have read a little about them and it looks as if this year cart and charger system has issues I don't need issues at all so looking at onboard chargers I have found 1that a person on has for sale but wants $200 plus shipping its a Delta 913-4800-E5 they sell for almost $400 new but I have found some other makes that will do exactly what sheneeds for $149 new shipped I offered him $150 for it we will see the only differance is that the Delts says water resistant and the other 1 does not but water resistant is not water proof so I will have to protect both of them so now its just a cost factor and I am on a real tight budget because of the batteries needing replaced etc... they all show 8 volts and the total shows 48 but they run out of poere fast I have not load tested them yet but I will hoping that the 4 2008 batteries are good and the 2 odd ball ones are pulling it down so if you have a idea fo what make and model of a onboard charger let me know. Thanks K C
Old 02-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

do some real reading before you buy the charger as a lot of guys here have bought them and in a year they quit and if it breaks down ( charger ) theres no fixing them.............can you post a pic of what the charger looks like inside? did you un-jump it.....the circuit breaker is only maybe 15 dollars but if the issue is with the cart ( if its the OBC ) you really need to think about replacing that instead of one of those chargers.........do some reading thur old posts here you,ll find some good info........and if you do go with one of those chargers you still need to bypass the OBC in the cart.......there is some re-wiring that has to be done nothing major but has to be done...............david should know some more about it.......................
Old 02-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
WKC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Like I told you the only thing in the charger that has been changed is by passing the circut breaker I might have to give you a little more information about me I spent 18 years as a Maintenance Manager and I am quite familiar with looking at electrical systems rebuilding complete cnc machines and taking care of business so beleive me when I tell you that is what has been changed and I can not see any place where something used to be that was removed either besides that the charger is not real complecated and the old wiring has not been touched or moved the wire for the input to the circut breaker has been routed to the circut so it has no circut breaker.I have in line fuses that I can install that mount where the breaker went so it will blow a fuse instead of the breaker I have no choice about the charger being mounted on the cart my sister can barley walk by herself there is no way she can carry the charger if it is left in the cart out in the parking lot some low life will steal it. After removing the housing to her current charger it is quit apperant that the transformer creates a LOT OF HEAT and can't be sealed in the box it has to have a lot of air movement so using it is not a good idea. I have found severial on board chargers with a 3 year warrenty and some with 1 year but the Delta looks to be the best but most coastly I will load test the battery's tomorrow and see just how many are bad and the boat is still out about the charger I don't understand why the charger is not a stand alone unit instead of having parts in the goilf cart to work with it. Just makes no sence to me but what do I know nothing I guess K C
Old 02-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

The OBC monitors the battery usage and tells the charger exactly how much replenishment the pack requires . . . but you probably knew that . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Shadowman you gave it a professional shot, but sometimes there comes a point where you have to just say, "OK I give up."
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
WKC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Yeah I got that far in reading about it I just don't understand why it is set up this way there are a lot of total automatic chargers made that moniter the battery and will tend it to maintain a correct charge I guess they just had to be different I have spent many years aguring with Engineers about changing systems that work perfectly as they were. The new Dodge trucks are a prime example with the TIPM boards instead of keeping a fuse panel they come out with a very coastly system that has so many problems I sold a truck because of it and won't buy annother The system cost $700 to replace has no warrenty and last from 1 week to years but mostly weeks if you have a bad system not all trucks are bad just the ones I bought. Back to the onboard charging I still need a good system that is not prone to breaking down and I HAVE NOT GOT A ANSWER FROM ANY BODY AS YET WHAT 1 IS A GOOD 1.
tHANKS FOR ALL THE HELP LIKE i SAID IT IS NOT A FIELD I AM USED TO GOLF CARTS IN GERERAL excuse the caps my fat fingers I hit it by accendent most times.

K C..

Last edited by WKC; 02-14-2012 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: spelling mostly
Old 02-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #19
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

K.C. it may be that there really isn,t a good one ....well good enough to reccomend, as i said if you do some reading it seems they break in about a year and are not repairable so i know i wouldn,t reccomend one if thats the case.............................................8 )
Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Let's back up a little bit and I'll walk you through this.... step by step and we'll figure out the problem. I 100% guarantee it...... First question, what year is the vehicle? Serial number?

EDIT: Stay away from aftermarket chargers. They work fine for some, but the Lester PowerDrive chargers are awesome units and I highly recommend staying with that.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car