lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2021, 04:12 PM   #41
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: How to get a smoother ride in a G29?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowes View Post
What would happen if I were to take off my G29 (electric) shocks and cut off a bit of the spring(s)? It seems to me that the more coils of spring you have, the stronger the spring - anyone know?
Unfortunately, springs don't really work that way. You need a softer spring not a shorter one.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #42
John Bowes
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Unfortunately, springs don't really work that way. You need a softer spring not a shorter one.
Ok Volt.. I'm running into dead ends to find the 'softer' gas model G29 shocks. Thanks for your reply.
John Bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:22 AM   #43
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have not seen any lately either. There are some online but I can't be sure if they are really for a gas cart.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #44
John Bowes
Not Yet Wild

I MAY have found the answer to the stiff ride... Someone more knowledgeable about shocks feel free to jump in here..
I don't know if the stiffness comes from the shock's black 'cylinder', or the spring coil-over.
If it comes from the coil-over spring, then a place (like) Huskyparts (from Ebay) sell replacement coils. The only ones that I see are 'Heavy Duty' replacements for sale. I sent them a message this morning, asking if they sell a 'softer' replacement spring that will soften up the G29 ride.
The price for the heavy duty ones are $56 each and appear to be easy to switch out.
Am I on the right track does anyone know?
Old 10-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #45
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Getting a non adjustable shock modified with a correct spring is not a trivial effort. It takes a lot of knowledge of the vehicle geometry and weight to get it right. The spring on a coil over supports the vehicle weight and gives compliance when riding over non smooth roads. The shock is a damper that reduces oscillation of the suspension when going over bumps. When we reduce weight by 300 lbs or so that is a huge difference in a cart which makes the stock spring way too stiff. With the G29, the gas cart probably weighs about the same as an electric converted to Lithium so those shocks work well. I have them on one of my carts thanks to Ping Eye3! I would really like to get another set somewhere for my second cart. For now, I run that cart with fairly low tire pressure which really helps the ride but isn't good for the tires.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:55 PM   #46
John Bowes
Not Yet Wild

What is the difference between the gas/electric G29 shocks then? Do they run the same damper, but a 'softer' spring? I guess that's what I'm looking for when considering changing the springs out.
I tried lowering the pressure from 25lbs to 20lbs on my new 205/65/10's. It increased the 'hopping' of the wheel noticeably. I went back to 25lbs, and it smoothed it out to 'almost acceptable'. I don't know if I'll try 15lbs in them or not.. It could be worth a shot.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #47
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I think the only difference is the diameter of the spring coils. They are noticeably thinner on the gas cart shocks.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:16 AM   #48
DDNorCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowes View Post
I MAY have found the answer to the stiff ride... Someone more knowledgeable about shocks feel free to jump in here..
I don't know if the stiffness comes from the shock's black 'cylinder', or the spring coil-over.
If it comes from the coil-over spring, then a place (like) Huskyparts (from Ebay) sell replacement coils. The only ones that I see are 'Heavy Duty' replacements for sale. I sent them a message this morning, asking if they sell a 'softer' replacement spring that will soften up the G29 ride.
The price for the heavy duty ones are $56 each and appear to be easy to switch out.
Am I on the right track does anyone know?
John, the softer rear shock from the gas model cart is JW1-F2210-10-00. I have had some issues finding them. There is some confusion in the marketplace as some sellers have slightly different p/n such as without the -10 portion. The eBay sellers are mostly selling a 3rd party version and the p/n has been superseded which lead back to the original, stiffer electric cart shock version which is JW2-F2210-10-00. Found a seller who buys direct from Yamaha and found the exact p/n. Haven’t received the order yet, so fingers crossed. AdeptPowersports.com $76 each. DD
DDNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #49
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

DDNorCal - I hope this works out. I will order a pair once you let us know that they are the real deal Gas Version. The ones on my other cart have been on there since 2016 and they give a much better ride with the reduced battery weight.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:02 AM   #50
DDNorCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
DDNorCal - I hope this works out. I will order a pair once you let us know that they are the real deal Gas Version. The ones on my other cart have been on there since 2016 and they give a much better ride with the reduced battery weight.
Volt_Ampere - Ok I'll let you know when they arrive. BTW, your thoughts were correct - re: front shocks per one of our PM discussions

The gas cart fronts appear to be the same as the electric cart fronts. The original gas cart fronts (L=JW1-F3350-10-00 & R=JW1-F3390-10-00) have been superseded to the original electric cart p/n. Same #'s as above with the JW2 designation.
DDNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha