lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #1
brokendown
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G9a ignitor fix

Ran into the issue recently where I found that my cart had lost spark. Naturally I turned to the web which led me here to find several threads on how I'm not the only one, but nothing super helpful. Tracked down the service manual and followed the steps on lost spark. [see attached pictures for reference on the procedure as I don't intend to type a whole heck of a lot]
Long story short I did all the proper testing with a meter and checked wiring connections and the condition of the harness etc. It all led me to the final step: REPLACE IGNITOR. When I saw that it was a whopping $159.99 I wasn't quite ready yet to take the chance with my money. I pried the old unit open at the front and carefully slid the circuit board out to inspect. Everything looked to be ok as far as anything obvious goes, no broken connections or sign of burning. So I brought it to a good friend of mine who I give a lot of credit to. He gave it a quick glance and pointed to the transistor. [picture attached] Model D1071. He pointed out how on the board it is mounted to a heat sync and it gets very hot is likely to be your first point of failure. So I turned to eBay and found a few replacements that ship from China. I really didn't want to wait a month so I found a cross reference chart for the transistor and went with model BU910. I got a 3 pack for $8 and received the parts rather fast. Carefully soldered the old one off and the new one on and felt very doubtful that it would work, but I figured what the heck. Needless to say that did the trick and now I'm back up and running again for $8. I hope this helps someone. I wish I took more photos at the time but I wasn't really thinking it was gonna work at first. I did however attach a picture of my crude yet effective solder job on the back of the board.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pictures.zip (451.5 KB, 0 views)
brokendown is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G9a ignitor fix

Wow thanks for the post, and yes you are right anything that gets hot is often the one to die first. I have two that still work so I never messed with them, might have a use for them so keeping them.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:52 AM   #3
beer_bandit
Not Yet Wild

Thank You for this
beer_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
cfherrman
Gone Wild

I just tried this with a same brand and number transistor and it didn't work, I believe the new transistor was different then the old. I didn't have desolder braid so I ruined the old transistor and couldn't reuse it. I would try the other number transistor in the post.
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
roncoinc
Not Yet Wild

2SD1071 is what to look for.
roncoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #6
cfherrman
Gone Wild

I'll look
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yamaha g9a ignitor fix
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha