lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
Rick1965
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 2018 Quietech EFI

My dad is looking at a 2018 Yamaha Quietech EFI. Looking for opinions on this. Any problems with the fuel injection? Can he zip tie the governor and get 18-20mph?
Rick1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2017, 12:43 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2018 Quietech EFI

Can get 18-20 mph. Govenor delete won't work for more than that because the computer has it's own rev limiter. The FI has been good with only one or 2 map sensor problems ever for me. The computer is not adjustable (at this point), and will only do what it assumes is correct. So any mods may throw it off. It does not really "dynamically adjust" to all conditions, especially if it's messed with. It's a "open loop" system, that means it does what it thinks is right (based on pre-programmed maps), not based on what the motor is actually doing for fuel ratio. It has no oxygen sensor to detect how things are going on the output side. It's a basic system relying entirely on the manifold pressure sensor and air temp sensor to make changes (it knows rpm also, but doesn't even have a TPS). It works pretty darned good, but has a few funny quirks, like starts faster when the gas tank is fuller. He should really be looking at the fuel injected PTV model, it has high speed gears from the factory & doesn't even need a adjustment to go 19mph (hint hint- it can go faster than 20).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:17 AM   #3
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Can get 18-20 mph. Govenor delete won't work for more than that because the computer has it's own rev limiter. The FI has been good with only one or 2 map sensor problems ever for me. The computer is not adjustable (at this point), and will only do what it assumes is correct. So any mods may throw it off. It does not really "dynamically adjust" to all conditions, especially if it's messed with. It's a "open loop" system, that means it does what it thinks is right (based on pre-programmed maps), not based on what the motor is actually doing for fuel ratio. It has no oxygen sensor to detect how things are going on the output side. It's a basic system relying entirely on the manifold pressure sensor and air temp sensor to make changes (it knows rpm also, but doesn't even have a TPS). It works pretty darned good, but has a few funny quirks, like starts faster when the gas tank is fuller. He should really be looking at the fuel injected PTV model, it has high speed gears from the factory & doesn't even need a adjustment to go 19mph (hint hint- it can go faster than 20).

I agree, 165 dollar option for high speed gears
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
Rick1965
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

He's going from a 36v electric EZGO to a gas cart because of a long steep hill behind his house. After about 3 or 4 trips up and down the hill the electric cart was done. If he would opt for the high speed gears how much would that take away from the power to climb the hill. We also don't plan to do any major mods to the power train for a while because of the warrenty.
Rick1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The PTV is a pretty snappy cart, if he's not looking at any major mods or hauling he should be very happy with it. Keep in mind there are MANY different ratio's considered "High Speed Gears", and often when they are talked about on the forums it's RE the aftermarket gearsets which change your final drive from 12-ish to 1 to either 8:1 or 6:1 (major changes which definitely have a profound effect on torque and driveability). With the factory "High Speed Gears" the change is much more subtle (IE EZGO factory at 12.2:1, High Speed Factory Gears 10.2:1 - a MUCH smaller increase in ratio) so the overall performance isn't altered as severely.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

I think the Yamaha gas factory HS gear is about 9.7:1 ratio.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:34 AM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

As far as quiet goes, I dare anyonelse to dispute that. It's easily the most quiet gasser on the market.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Quote:
I think the Yamaha gas factory HS gear is about 9.7:1 ratio.

How would factory HS gears perform if I were to put a lift and bigger tires on? As far as torque and hill climbing?
Jeffreynmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
HBR
Gone Wild

Quote:
As far as quiet goes, I dare anyonelse to dispute that. It's easily the most quiet gasser on the market.
Boy that is the truth! One passed by me the other day and I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't a "noisy" electric cart.
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreynmandy View Post
How would factory HS gears perform if I were to put a lift and bigger tires on? As far as torque and hill climbing?
I think that's pushing it too far. Just how fast do you need to go on a lifted cart anyway?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha